Thread: Early Naval Cutlass late mid to late 1700's

Early Naval Cutlass late mid to late 1700's

This is a nice example of a early Figure 8 or double disk cutlass that shows all the attributes of being American made. It may very well be Revolutionary War. It is very crudely forged and there is some delamination inside the guard. The grip is all iron with a nice tight seam. The straight blade,without fuller, is not true but a bit wavy.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

Very nice cutlass!

Wow! thanks for the excellent pictures. As American made as it is possible to believe. Small contract blacksmith perhaps. Love the cylinder lap weld seam and untouched tang. Congrats

That's cool and nice snaps!

Good images. I have an identical one in my collection.
    I would attribute the date to much later.
    British...late 18th century.
    A common pattern used by the Royal Navy.

But on further investigation,also used by the American navy. If you can get hold of Naval Swords and daggers by Sim Comfort he has several illustrated along with a detailed explanation of each. Well worth looking at.

Quote Originally Posted by CullyPettigrew View Post
    But on further investigation,also uetan it woul be a good investmentsed by the American navy. If you can get hold of Naval Swords and daggers by Sim Comfort he has several illustrated along with a detailed explanation of each. Well worth looking at.
    i
    A rather pricey book. Has it been reviewed? Since it is primarily focused on UK swords, while my interest is US, not sure I'd get my money's worth.

Richard the reference book mentioned sounds good but I don't have that one. Though I collect Canadian/British swords I have a dozen American sword reference books. There is such an overlap of British and American swords/cutlass used in the 1700-1800's in America that I feel it's well worth while. Reference books are incomplete and one compliments the others.