Thread: engraved swords

engraved swords

Afternoon all ... questions concerning engraved blades 1) example... german ww1 officers had engraved for parade dress and etc for looks only ? what did they take into battle (not that sword) possibly another type of sword or none at all ? also german ww2 officers had them too. i read a article the other day about a scottish pirate who carried a scottish basket hilt sword this was in the late 1730 ish on board the ship and how he wacked off a guys head with it ! so is it safe to assume that most engraved officers swords are for carry only and something else is used for fighting or nothing at all thanks ...bill... i hope i tried to ask the question right !

I believe you have it correct that etched swords are far less likely to be used in battle. However some WW1 German dress swords and sidearms were pressed into service and can be found regimentally marked with stamped numbers/letters.

Engraved or etched blades (different processes) were very often carried into battle. In fact from the late 18thC onwards they were standard for officers blades, in the later 19thC a plain blade for an officer was the less common choice. Issue blades are an entirely different matter.

William,

You have ask a good question although the devil is in the details. German swords, since you specifically ask about them, are a good starting point. Issue swords, as a general rule, did not have etched blades. Etched blades were available for private purchase (i.e. Officers had to buy their own swords as they generally did not receive issue swords) but they cost more. Etched blades (hand etched or etched with a template) cost more. Ivory grips cost more than plastic, extra engraved initials or presentations cost more. You see where I am going with this.

Bottom line is that what you presume is generally correct. There is always the pirate out there who moves to the tune of his own drummer though.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

thanks for the answers ... ok suppose a german officer wanted to take a good sword into battle (not his dress sword) what type would he take ? a good blucher style saber or other tough sword of some type? the same with a scottish basket hilt sword he has , is there another one or other model he could use and keep his nice engraved or etched one back home ( like his it had his mane on it and other info of his unit ) thanks for your help) i hope you understand what i am asking ? i dont think i would like to take my nice etched sword into battle ... bill

Guys: Most cavalry officers in the Prussian service in 1914, carried their Lion Head Saber or they purchased a KS 52 and used that for war. This applies to all the Cavalry, except the 10 Kürrasier Regiments. Infantry officers carried their Mod 1889 IOD into combat, unless they bought another for this purpose...

The Kürrasier Officers carried a private purchased Palosch M 1819, or its descendant, the M 1854, sometimes they carried the KS 52 or even a lion head saber. All this depended on what the individual wanted and could afford to buy.

Dale

thank you Dale ....very interesting ... bill