Thread: Help ID this shashka

Help ID this shashka

I bought this shashka 1 week ago. What do you think, replica or original 1904 shashka? I've seen some pretty good replica manufacturer websites, wasn't able to spot the exact same NII Nikolai II etched design. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Job to see the etching on your blade but from what I can see looks like the same or similar as the sword on the link below.

https://sword-site.com/thread/357/co...ucasian?page=1
    Last edited by Michael.H; 07-13-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Yes, is the same heraldic: double headed eagle on one side and N II on the other. There are also 2 stamps crowned A and simple A. Could be Zlatoust.

This is a shashka of the Caucasian type.
    The engraving on the blades and the number of dales (fuller) could depend on the wishes of the owner.
    As for the statutory sample, such a shashka:
    In September 1894. exemplary shashka of the Terek and Kuban Cossack troops entered the Main Artillery Directorate. They were examined by the inspector of artillery acceptance, Lieutenant General Engelhardt. He noted that their blades are sharply different from the blades of the Cossack shashka, approved in 1881, but they can be left behind, since "whole generations of Cossacks in the Caucasus have become accustomed to such samples." Highest approved in 1904. a sample of the Caucasian Cossack shashka for the Tersk Cossack Host. But, as often happened, they approved and officially adopted what had previously been successfully used in the endless Caucasian and not only Caucasian wars that Russia was waging. Until 1904, such shashka, as a rule, had a three-lobed blade, which was mass-produced from 1889 to 1904. Since 1904, Terek and Kuban drafts had identical blades with two narrow valleys and differed only in cartouches, respectively: TKV and KKV.

I think this is the original shashka.

I can't see the engraving from the photo, but, as I said, the owners themselves could order the haw.
    On the authorized shashka of the lower ranks (not officers) of the Terk Cossack army, the letters "TKВ" - сyrillic - the Terk Cossack army must be engraved on the blade, and on the blades of the Kuban Cossack army, the engraving "KKВ" - сyrillic - the Kuban Cossack army is obligatory.
    The officers could decorate the blades of their shashka as they liked, just as the hilt could be made in silver.

I don't know if I wrote everything clearly - Google's electronic translator rules .....