Thread: marking on hilt of ww1 german sword

marking on hilt of ww1 german sword

afternoon all.... here goes more questions seen a german blucher style sword at a antique mall it is W 15 mfg by weyersberg & co solingen the marking on the hand guard at very different looks all hand engraved L . M. K .79 picture of a( square ) . a picture of a inverted( v )with 2 round a small round ball at the end of the v leg 9. and a period after each symbol sorry on pict also there was sure a lot of cosmoline left on it in place thanks for any help you can give me ....bill (p.s. also the L has a short up turn end shorter than the other side ) hope i did not confuse you people !!

Needs pics.

Meaning of "LMK"

Bill: "Leichtes Munitonen Kolonne" or Light Munitions Column...Supplied Artillery Units in the field. If you wish to know the full unit, we will need good pix..

Dale

thanks for the info guys i possilbly seen some info on the sword too from a book by john walter p.122 there is a L there for Landwehr and a M for munitionskolonne he had no listing for the K could the be the 79 batt or reg ? and the 9 is the sword number ? but the small square and the inverted V with the to small balls attached to the ends could mean?? will try for a pict but thanks again bill or possibly your best guess with no pict ! is there any other places i could look for some symbols like that ? thanks

Jeff Noll's book lists this unit...as for the rest, pix...

Dale

thanks if I can get that pic how do I post it to here last time I tried it ..it was MESS !! bill or where to look on here to post the pic.

Bill: Reply, then go advanced, attachments box....Otherwise send it to my e mail..

Dale

Fellows: Here is the pic that Will send of this Saber. To me, something is not quite right about this marking...

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ouch!

I agree Dale. Not the regulation die struck letters and numbers but hand made markings. Very odd and suspicious to me although I don't know why anyone would go to the trouble to fake such common markings. They are also on the wrong side of the guard.
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Only a "guess" could this be a Turkish marking?

Not Turkish, they used Arabic until 1927 or so, the "7" is actually Farsi character for 2 or 3 I forgot which, I would have to go look at a Persian Mauser to be sure...Hand carved and might be from Pakistan or Iran--IMHO.

Dale

We still need pics, one at least of the whole sword, and another of the Solingen marks. It's a bit like identifying a car from a photo' of the number plate.

Made by Simpson & Co. 1915

on the sword spine is a W and under it a 15 and way under hilt very small lettering first line weyersberg &co second line solingen that is it this lettering is very hard to even see flashlight and all i guess this is why i bought it for my other blucher swords have no markings like this that i know of but german bayonets do which makes it very interesting to collect so this sword looked very interesting so i bought it my be somebody who had a lot of spare time deceided to try and make up a different one !! ?? boy he sure did !.....bill