Thread: 1895 levee sword

Question 1895 levee sword

HI All
    I've just picked up an 1895 levee sword, it has no makers mark and doesn't have a proved star, and is marked steel hilt, everything about it is as would be expected, the blade decoration is normal with the monarchs insignia etc. With not being proved, could this sword be intended for one of the empire nations rather than a British serving officer, I wouldn't have thought that a blade not meant for fighting with would need to be proved in the first place.
    Any info would be appreciated
    Cheers
    Graham

I don't think there is any reason to doubt that it is a British officer's sword supplied by an outfitter who bought their blades from a manufacturer who simply did not use proof discs. The addition of a disc added more 'touches' to the manufacturing process and therefore more costly.

This could be a German import perhaps?

Elsewhere from this forum however:

"As Wilkinsons designed the hilt, the early 1895's were stamped Steel Hilt so this is undoubtedly a Wilkinson one.
    Other makers did not stamp the hilt with Steel Hilt.
    Also a very large percentage of Wilkinson swords for conversion were returned to Wilkinsons"

I'm not sure whether your sword is a Wilkinson but it might have been Re-hilted by Wilkinson.

Thanks James, that explains a lot

Cheers
    Graham

It is not uncommon for levee swords to not have a proof disc. Also, proof discs, the star, or other proof marks were never required to be on officers' swords. It's just a trend that Wilkinson started around 1845 and other makers copied them.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated

Cheers
    Graham

Graham,

This type of sword, if sent to the Australian colonies, often replaced the VR crest on the hilt, with the crest of the colony. The blade still ethed with the royal VR monogram.I would image this applied to other Bristish colonies.

I have an 1890's Royal New South Wales Regiment sword with the crest of NSW and the VR monogram. It is not a heavy blade and almost certainly not meant for combat.

George
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Thanks for the info George

Cheers
    Graham