Thread: Imperial German stirrup hilted sabre

Imperial German stirrup hilted sabre

Just picked up a nice sabre, no makers name unfortunately but good quality etching on the blade. Mit Gott fur Kaiser und Reich. The guard is marked, 26. A. 2. 121.
    I'd be grateful for any help with identification of the regiment etc.

Mel.

Edit.
    I see that there is listed, a 26th Field Artillery (Hannover), could it be that simple?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Mel H; 07-21-2020 at 10:44 AM.

Mel: yes..

Mel,

Dale has explained to myself and many others the 26. A. 2. 121 = 26th Field Artillery (Hannover) but 2.121 = 2nd Battery, Sword number 121. Apparently, the troopers could ask for the armourer to label their private purchase swords to identify them, like engraving a name which I have on a KD1889 private purchase.

George
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Dale, George. Many thanks.

Mel

Guys: The main reason that such items were stamped with the unit markings, was so they could be traced to a specific Soldat if the Police had to break up a fight in a tavern or if it was lost or misplaced. I have never found this in writing, just what a WW 1 German Vet told me in the 70's..Of course this could just be a myth, but some units required it, but the reason is lost to us now.

Dale