Thread: Early and Late Model Bavarian M 1855 Inf Off Sabers

Early and Late Model Bavarian M 1855 Inf Off Sabers

Guys: I have dug these out of my pile of swords....

Bavarian Infantry Officers' Sabers, both Model of 1855, one is an early model with the Cypher of Ludwig I, the other is from 1915-18, and has the motto "IN TREUE FEST" on the blade.

The Wartime saber is in a subdued finish, of black paint over iron fittings, the Early Model is brass. Note the different style of Portepees installed on these weapons, the earlier model is cloth, the later follows Prussian practice, with a leather strap and metallic wire. The Bavarians were not fond of the Prussian gear, and retained this style of saber, even though a new one was adopted in 1891, which was just the Prussian M 89 with a Bavarian shield on the hilt, exactly like the Prussian model.

I was happy to get the Late Model with the leather strap and recovery chain, which shows it was actually carried in the Great War, I am leaving the Portepee just like the Bavarian Officer installed it over 100 years ago...One does not find a saber with so many original accessories very often these days..

ETA: I forgot the portepees, note the difference between the early and late models, one can see the Prussian influence in the change....

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 08-28-2020 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Add

Hi Dale,

I have two of these in my collection.
    1 X Löwekopf bronzed metal, the older style blade 84cm long, no maker's mark. The grip is pertha gutta with wire wrap. Ithas the motto "IN TREUE FEST" on the blade.

The second is more interesting.
    1 X plain metal furniture, older style blade 83cm long, WKC maker's mark. It has the motto "IN TREUE FEST" on the blade. The grip is pertha gutta. The back edge of the blade near the ricasso indicates it was supplied as a finished sword by the reputable Munich officer's retailer, Josef Vierheiligs, 1855 – 1887.

1. I assume that neither is wartime production?
    2. Do I assume that the second might date from the late 1880s/1890s?

Thanks for any assistance.

George
    Last edited by George Charlton; 08-29-2020 at 03:08 AM.
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Two nice Bavarian swords Dale. Here is a link to one that I bought earlier in the year that has the Bavarian motto etched on the blade. I think Bezdek, and others, are wrong on their dates for my maker or this is a later sword as you indicate your steel hilt is.

http://www.swordforum.com/vb4/showth...-Officer-Sword
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

Fellows: If the scabbard has one ring and is painted or blackened, it dates from 1910 or later. If it is nickel or polished, and one ring, it is after 1894. This applies to most German States. The exception is Prussian Infantry Officers' Degens, they kept two rings until 1908-1910, and were required to blacken the scabbards at the same time.

Dale

Now I'm confuseled. Didn't Ludwig pass on the reins/reign to Max before 1855, abdicating in 1848?

Glen: Ludwig II was King of Bavaria from 1864 to 1886. He had no regent as such, just the usual flunkies and officials. He was declared insane in 1886, his brother Otto I followed, but he had a regent, Luitpold, and when he died in 1913, Ludwig III became king. Full story here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Bavaria

Dale

Right but I was reading your opening description

" Bavarian Infantry Officers' Sabers, both Model of 1855, one is an early model with the Cypher of Ludwig I, the other is from 1915-18, and has the motto "IN TREUE FEST" on the blade."

Cheers
    GC

Sorry to be a pest Dale,

Am I to assume that the Josef Vierheiligs (1855 – 1887) sword is unsold stock that has been stored until sold after 1910?
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Sorry Guys, I meant Ludwig II...As to Vierheiligs, I suspect that if another supplier bough the blades or complete swords, they would not spend the $$$ to re-etch the name..

Dale

Thanks Dale. My mind is now much less unsettled

The sword shows that not all the money was going towards building a castle.

Cheers
    GC