Thread: Prussian Kürassier Palosch M 1819

Prussian Kürassier Palosch M 1819

Guys: I have found another of this rather hard to find model. This model Palosch was a gift from the Tsar of Russia to the King of Prussia after the defeat of Napoleon. It was designated by Prussia as the KP 1819. The originals were rebuilt in the 1830's, and some were made new in the 1860's. This model is almost unknown and very hard to find. I have owned only 3 since 1970.

The Collectors in Germany have noted that the only Kürrasier Regiments that they have seen marked on these are 5th and 8th. They are also seen with marks from the various Landwehr Schwerer Reiter units. These were disbanded after the war of 1870-71. The first legend I heard was that these were issued to the Kürrasieren Regiments in an alternate fashion, with the even numbered and the Garde Kürrasieren having the usual French pattern, identical to the AN XIII, The Garde du Corps and the odd numbered Regiments having the Russian Pattern. This is hard to verify now.

To add to the fun, these were also issued to the Mounted Field Police and have been noted with these unit stampings as well...Since every example I have seen with the non Kürrasieren unit marks had cancelled Kür. Regiment marks and none have been seen otherwise, it seems that the Army handed these down to the support and reserve units and kept the French Pattern.

The Prussians captured so many of the French Mle 1854, that they adopted it as the KP 1854, so perhaps the Russian models were not needed any more. This might be why some are seen with Landwehr and Feldgendarmerie markings.

I have posted both of the example in my hoard, one is dated 1870, and the other is 1876....

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 09-16-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Dale that is a very attractive pattern of sword. Are these as long bladed as the French 1816 line cavalry swords?

Will: Both of these here are 97 CM Blade length..Which bring up another point about this weapon, no one has seen one yet shortened according the regulation of 1894, or with a one ring scabbard..

Dale