Thread: Celtic Hilt Sabre

Celtic Hilt Sabre

I believe this would be the 28th example known. No markings at all Leather covered grip with silver wire, service sharpened. Interestingly, the inside of the bowl was left with a very rough forge finish. I would guess it didn't matter so much since the liner was there, and this probably helped to avoid rust setting in underneath the liner.

Name:  20201018_150542.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  100.5 KB
    Name:  20201018_150600.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  97.8 KB`
    Name:  20201018_150713.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  97.4 KB

British/Irish Dragoon Guards according to this vendor: https://www.antique-swords.com/B95-1...lry-Sabre.html ??

Magnus "if" you can believe that. Note many of his swords have been at Waterloo! I would be cautious about the information found there.
    Max a very nice sword indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Magnus "if" you can believe that. Note many of his swords have been at Waterloo! I would be cautious about the information found there.
    Max a very nice sword indeed.
    Will, I fully agree. But at least the webpage gives a couple of possible leads to research further.

It seems like many of them, but not all, were made for the 4th Irish Dragoon Guards. Mine has no marking whatsoever so it would be hard to say for sure.

G'day Max,
    That is a nice sword. Many are associated with the 4th (Queens Own) Dragoons, not the 4th Dragoon Guards.
    Cheers,
    Bryce

Thank you Bryce. Good to know!

G'day Max,
    I have been doing a bit of research into the development of the British pipe-back sword. One thing I have noticed is that the earlier ones (around 1800-1814?) tend to have a conventional scabbard throat opening, while the later ones (1815?-1820) tend to have a "keyhole" opening. The first photo below is a conventional scabbard opening from an early Wilkes pipe-back with pre 1801 coat of arms. The second photo is a keyhole scabbard throat from an 1816 pipe-back by GS Reddell.
    What sort does your celtic hilt scabbard have?
    Cheers,
    Bryce
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Bryce the Reddell scabbard exhibits what appears to be cut marks at the throat. Is this cut into the steel or is there a softer insert to protect the blade?

Interesting. Mine has the keyhole, though crewed from the top, and could have been added or replaced at a later date. I wonder how this compares to other Celtic hilts, Richard Dellar could probably tell us more.
    Name:  20201023_114356.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  93.4 KB

Max does the curve of the blade match the scabbard? Looks like the scabbard cut out for the blade may have been modified for fit as it is cut into the lower screw hole and the left side relieved more than the right.
    The scabbard drag is shaped for a hatchet pointed blade.
    Last edited by Will Mathieson; 10-23-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Thanks Max,
    I would say the scabbard is all original to the sword. This type of scabbard drag is common for celtic-hilts. Scabbard throats are mostly very roughly cut out for some reason.

Will, with the Reddell example I posted above, they are cuts in the steel of the scabbard throat.

All quill-point swords I have seen to date (including Celtic-hilts) have the keyhole throat, but it is only a small sample.
    Cheers,
    Bryce

Bryce those are good points to know. Throats may be modified to keyhole using existing stock.