Thread: Victorian Sword: Type of Wood Used for Liners / Type of Leather Used for Washers

Victorian Sword: Type of Wood Used for Liners / Type of Leather Used for Washers

Hi guys,

I disassembled a brass scabbard that belongs to a mid-Victorian Wilkinson sword.
    Inside was a single wooden liner.
    It is a rather narrow and thin piece of wood about 9 mm (excuse the french measurement) wide and of varying thickness (3 mm at the thickest point). It is about 80 cm long.

Although have no idea what a period correct liner would look like, this one is a bit below my expectations.
    I'd like at add (at least) a second one, so that the blade does not contact the brass on one side of the scabbard.

So my questions are:
    - Should I use that piece of wood as a model for the second liner?
    - What kind of wood should I use?

As a layman I suspect a wood that's low on the Janka scale with a low silica content would be preferable, any suggestions?
    Could I use balsa (no idea about the silica content)?

Furthermore, the sword has lost its leather washer. What kind of (vegetable-tanned?) leather should I get to replace it?
    Is there a danger of residual tannins attacking the blade?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That looks like one of those "temporary fixes" done to stop rattling when the original liner was done for. There is a long and informative thread on here about Wilkinson swords, I would start there.

I have read that beech wood was used. Leather washers I use a microcrystalline wax to coat the leather. Approx. 1/16 inch thick leather works for officers swords, some are white buff and this works well for brass scabbards. https://www.identityleathercraft.com...-bookmark.html

You can also find leather scabbard liners. Matt Easton found such in one of his swords....

Leather liners are found on higher end swords and have a sewn seam. They must retain their shape by being stiff, something you can't easily replicate and requires a mandrel.