Thread: double headed eagle

double headed eagle

afternoon all... no to change the subject but on the austrian sword shown with the double eagle is not the russian symbol a double eagle also ? also is there any other countries with double headed eagles also ? thanks .........bill

Quote Originally Posted by william fisher View Post
    afternoon all... no to change the subject but on the austrian sword shown with the double eagle is not the russian symbol a double eagle also ? also is there any other countries with double headed eagles also ? thanks .........bill
    Other examples are: Albania, Serbia, Montenegro, Holy Roman Empire, Byzantine Empire...

thanks for the info.. ok that leads to another question if seven countries have some sort of double headed eagle how would you tell them apart if all you had in front of you were the pictures of the various eagles ? .... thanks bill

thanks for the info.. ok that leads to another question if seven countries have some sort of double headed eagle how would you tell them apart if all you had in front of you were the pictures of the various eagles ? .... thanks bill
    I think these versions would have been relevant at different periods of history. By the late 18thC the Byzantine was long gone, Albania under Ottoman rule and Serbia split at different times under Austria-Hungary or Ottoman. In the late 18thC the main players were Austria-Hungary and Russia.

The Russian double-headed eagle appears to have two small crowns over each head and a single unifying cron over both. The Austria-Hungary version has a single crown. The Austrians appear to use the double-headed eagle symbol widely on sword blades from the 1760's onwards, I am not sure about Russia, Ive not seen many examples. My sabre has a typical design of a European sabre of the late 18th, and the eagle in this case seems typically Austrian.

Merry Christmas one and all.

I struggled a bit to differentiate between the Imperial Russian and Austrian eagles in the past. But after some observation you will notice that the Russian holds a sceptre and an orb in its talons and has a shield with St George on its breast. The Austrian one holds a sword and an orb with the coat of arms of Habsburg-Lothringen on its chest.

The other eagles tend to be different. Just google what they look like and compare. You can also post a picture on this website and ask members if they recognize it.

Hello.
    Is this an idle question for general development or do you want to define an eagle on a subject?
    Sincerely, Vladimir.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir Sukhomlinov View Post
    Hello.
    Is this an idle question for general development or do you want to define an eagle on a subject?
    Sincerely, Vladimir.
    I think this was a general question, but perhaps triggered by my Austrian cavalry sabre in the Best of 2020 thread. This one has the Austrian double-headed eagle engraved on the blade.

With regards

afternoon all ... another thought i had a while back seen a shield that could hold 2 swords and it was 3 striped colors on it running on a angle the colors were silver gold and blue and blue being the top color but what got me was the profile of the eagle with its wing curling up to its beak and with a long tonuge sticking out and curling down very very similar to the holy roman empire flag or prussian one .... bill

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cottrell View Post
    I think this was a general question, but perhaps triggered by my Austrian cavalry sabre in the Best of 2020 thread. This one has the Austrian double-headed eagle engraved on the blade.

With regards
    Yes this is the Austro-Hungarian double headed eagle with haloes. These engravings tend to be slightly crude. Sometimes they have empty talons and sometimes they hold a sceptre.