Thread: Makers Marks on a Kyu Gunto

Makers Marks on a Kyu Gunto

Noble Gentlemen,

I have a Japanese Army Parade Sabre; the blade is European, and is machine made, and the scabbard is chrome plated. Blade measures 26"(66cm)
    I have looked for some explanation for the two marks on the guard but the books I have don't contain the answer nor does the internet. Anything would be good. I have attached a number of images of the sword and the marks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

From military swords of Japan by Fuller and Gregory.
    This is the closest I can find. Not as much help it could be in this case as the stamp is 'Unidentified'!
    At least you have a likely arsenal.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gene Wilkinson; 01-12-2021 at 04:42 PM.

Gene,

Discovered a maker's mark that seems to work = Suya Sho Ten of Tokyo. They were makers of quality swords for the army and navy. The idea of it being linked to the Kokura Arsenal seems logical also from what I have read. I don't know for sure.

Didn't help me understand the different style of blade - not the traditional katana style. Nor work out an approx. date of manufacture.

Wire wrapped pertha guard looks to be C20th. I can only conclude 1920s - early 1930s. No real basis for that either.

There is very little out there on this particular model/variation and there doesn't seem to be anyone with an answer. I have posted on other sites and not received any further info. Some mysteries remain so.

Thanx

George
    “The Australian Light Horse attack on Beersheba was the last important cavalry charge in history and the last to win a resounding victory that altered the course of a war." Alec Hepburn

Hi George,

If memory serves , these have a threaded nut to disassemble (for the braver collector).
    Risky, but might show additional stamps on the tang I guess?

Is the suspension loop on the outside of the scabbards curve. so the opposite side to usual?

Gene,

As per the photo, mate. On the outside of the curve. Ha! Just checked other images and it is on the other side of normal?????

More bloody questions!

Thanx.