Thread: Info Needed on Brit Sword Maker - MAITLAND & CO., LONDON

Info Needed on Brit Sword Maker - MAITLAND & CO., LONDON

Hi All, I have been able to indulge my self with an early present, a lovely British officer's pattern 1821 sword to the Grand Trunk Railway Regiment - Volunteer Artillery. Briefly, the GTR recruited a rifle regiment and an artillery regiment in response to the Fenian threat posed by recently demobbed Irish -American Civil War veteran, Fenian sympathizers. Both regiments had their swords purchased though MAITLAND & CO., 25 CONDUITS St. LONDON. I can't find any information on this tailor, they do not appear in Bezdek. I'm hoping someone else may have more information.

Regards,

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Greg Nehring; 01-08-2021 at 06:56 PM.

They seem to have been Military and General Outfitters the earliest date I have found for them is 1841 being closed in 1878 due to bankcruptcy.

One of these swords in the Canadian War Museum:
    https://www.warmuseum.ca/collections...ia_irn=5414443

Thanks for the information so far. I am looking for a rifles regiment version to complete the set (I know where one is but.......how do I get him to part with it? :-( ).

Greg there is an easay answer to your question, more $$$. Everyone has a breaking point!

Oh yeah!

Hi Greg, another marked to the same regiment by Maitland is on Oldswords #122378, with what is possibly a different proof disc although I can't quite make yours out.

Thanks James, I'll take a look. The disk on my sword is a brass disk stamped PROVED.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Greg Nehring; 01-11-2021 at 08:55 AM.

Yes, the old swords example has a proved over fluer de lis

Greg,

Very nice! I am most envious, albeit a cursory search reveals that the Grand Trunk Railway historically had a rail-route that ran through a few U.S. states and in Canada, one of the rail-ways ran directly through my home town in Michigan. The rail road tracks ran right next to the grainary, which was the tallest building in town. Of course, I am assuming this is the same Grand Trunk railroad that might be related to your sword.

At any rate, nice sword!! Enjoy.
    Kind Regards,
    Derek McLane

Thanks Derek for the comments. Today's generation forgets the economic, national and strategic value of railways in North America in the 1800s. Thanks Will for posting the link to the Rifles Officers sword held in the Canadian War Museum. I broadened the search within the museum and discovered that Maitland & Co were also purveyors of military uniforms. https://www.warmuseum.ca/collections...ia_irn=5400623

I'm still working on adding a companion Rifle Company to my collection. Stay tuned!

Greg