Thread: Chard & Bromhead swords

Chard & Bromhead swords

The sword presented to John Chard by the people of Plymouth was sold recently, it was a numbered Pillin swords retailed by Hunt and Roskell, Jewellers and Goldsmiths to the Queen, 156 New Bond St., London.

Is anything known of the presentation sword given to Gonville Bromhead by the citizens of Lincoln, described as a 'jeweled' sword?

Apparently presented 25th June 1880 at a public meeting in The Masonic Hall, Lincoln. It was paid for by subscription with various local dignitaries pledging sums of a Guinea each towards this 'handsome sword'.

James now that you have the date of 25 June 1880, an issue of the Illustrated London News near this date should have the story recorded.

Will, I find it is reported there, but my subscription to the British Newspaper Archive is on hold due to a house purchase (so is compulsive sword buying!!)

From the snippets I can view I can't see any detailed description of the sword but if anyone has access the article is:

Published: Saturday 03 July 1880
    Newspaper: Illustrated London News
    County: London, England
    Type: Article | Words: 2303 | Page: 10 | Tags: none

Besides being identified as "jewelled" by a number of accounts, the South Wales Daily News of June 26, 1880 adds: "a handsome sword, on which was engraved the Victoria Cross".
    Here's an ironic excerpt from B's acceptance speech: "I beg to thank you very much ... for this magnificent sword, which I assure you will always remain in my family as an heirloom forever." (Hah!) Bancroft's Zulu War VCs.
    The tenants of B's residence, Thurlby Hall, presented him with a commemorative revolver. Where is it now?

The revolver is in the RRW Museum, Brecon. A photo of it is in Ian Knight's Nothing Remains But To Fight. The sword may be there also. "He must have treasured the revolver, for it remained with him for the next twelve years [i.e., till death]." Holme, The Silver Wreath.

Thanks for that extra info. I'd read about the Revolver but have not seen any mention of the sword being on display.