Thread: Wilkinson Grenadier Guards Colonel P.D.Boyle

Wilkinson Grenadier Guards Colonel P.D.Boyle

A departure from my mainly Cavalry collection but bought with family connections in mind, it’s not in the best of health but have bought it back to a reasonable state. Proved by Wilkinson on 28/5/69 and finished on 8/9/69, sold to P.D.Boyle Esq. Patrick David Boyle 1848-1932 was the son of Vice Admiral Alexander Boyle, became an Ensign in the 89th Foot 1869, transferred to the Grenadier Guards 1870, 1879 Lt Col, 1884 Col and in 1885 Assistant Military Secretary to the C in C Military Forces Ireland. He retired from the Guards the following year. In 1892 he donned a new uniform and traveled to New Zealand as Private Secretary to his first cousin the Earl of Glasgow who had just become the Governor of NZ, he returned to England two years later to civilian life. He had two sons Major Godfrey Henry Patrick Boyle, Seaforth Highlanders, and (my specific interest), Colonel Cecil Alexander Boyle CIE DSO Probyn’s Horse, who wrote the second history of his Regiment and was instrumental in raising The Iraq Levies becoming their first Inspecting Officer in 1919 ( as a side note, I’d be interested to hear from anyone who has an interest in The Iraq Levies, perhaps the sword of an officer seconded to them?).
    Lastly, on a more macabre note, Col. Boyle’s grandfather was The Right Hon. David Boyle Lord Justice General of Scotland, known as ‘The Black Man’, who in 1828 presided over the infamous Burke and Hare ‘Body Snatchers’ trial in which he sentenced William Burke to be hanged and then publicly dissected, his skeleton still on display at Edinburgh Medical School!
    Hopefully attached, pics of the sword, one of a very young Pat Boyle in dapper civvies and later as P.Sec.in NZ. I’ve tried to zoom in on the later pic to see if he’s wearing my sword, it may be..
    Attached Images Attached Images      

More pics

Another interesting member of this family was Colonel Robert Elphinstone Boyle (1837-1924), brother of the 7th Earl of Glasgow and c.o. of the 11th Bengal Lancers (Probyn's Horse), etc. Cheers!

Indeed he was, from 1873-1884, it’s in Col.Boyle’s History of Probyn’s Horse which I have and completely missed the connection! Many thanks L.B.

Glad to be of help, Ben!
    Col. the Hon. R. E. Boyle, 11th Bengal Lancers, quoted in JRUSI (1889): "I am sorry to say I am on the unpopular side with regard to the much-vexed and discussed question--whether lancers should have a sword. I am disposed to think that the lancer ought to carry a sword. Upon one occasion, a squadron of the regiment I had the honour of commanding, in number some ninety lancers, was engaged; and at the close of the action, twenty-three of the lances were found to be unserviceable owing to their being cut by the swords of the enemy near the head; and the men would have been defenceless or unarmed if they had not had swords to fall back upon."
    Best Regards!

You can’t beat a first hand account of someone who was in the thick of it! Thanks again.

Lancers with swords

Nice conservation work. Was the sword heavily corroded when you acquired it?

Thanks Mike, fortunately no active rust, just heavily patinated, so bought it up with a gentle couple of hours of Autosol, and then Renaissance Wax to finish.

I got a quote a couple years ago for nickelling an old sword hilt. It was $300 so I did not have it done. That's about £171