Thread: British Scottish acanthus hilted sabre? German cutlass? Non regulation? Indian troop?

British Scottish acanthus hilted sabre? German cutlass? Non regulation? Indian troop?

Hello clever chaps, just picked up this piece and sure ive seen something similar but cant place it and im stumped . 92 cm length acanthus basket hilt with a shallow fullered blade with a metal reinforced collar (like japanese habaki!) . No marking/stamps

Any help would be appreciated, if its a put together fasty piece it was done along time ago
    cheers in advance,
    Phil
    Attached Images Attached Images       

another shot

Love it, I hope it is original.

Looks like a British Indian cavalry sword.

I nabbed it as it reminded me of mountain artillery's blade's but theyre normally so well stamped, heres pommel photos as requested

The sword was made with this blade.

Is it a collar or just a really thick shoulder? I would also say this is an Indian cavalry officer sabre. The Scinde Irregular Cavalry popularized this style of guard.

its a collar in 2 pieces that looks to have been forged eith side into blade, cant see under buffer and dont want to remove but its 3cms wide by .9cm across at guard, blades 79cm along back from guards to point measured on a straight line

Then V shaped blade appears sharp continuing to the guard. This collar most likely is needed to fit the blade securely in the guards blade opening. It also steadies the sword in the scabbard as a sharp edge would wear the mouth. It would be interesting to compare the details of the guard with Wilkinson, Pillin, Reeves and other sword makers acanthus hilts. May just answer who made this sword.

Good thinking! Only acanthus i have is a Pillin and no match there.