Thread: Spanish ?Personal protection sword

Spanish ?Personal protection sword

I am seeking information on these two swords.I suspect mid to late 18th century and Spanish and for personal protection. Sword one and similar style in next post. The blade profile appears French with Spanish styling.
    Attached Images Attached Images           
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 04-08-2021 at 01:28 PM.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Spanish repurposed 1728 cavalry blade

Sword two possibly made from 1728 model cavalry blade.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

I think the first one could be made in Spanish American colonies and newer than its looks. Blade engravings are too regular for XVIIIth century.

For the second, I have a very similar hilt and horn grip with a blade I believe from c1780, with the "No me saques" motto.
    I have not seen a 1728s with a spurious Sebastian Hernan(d)ez" blade, but the three "mesas" are typical.
    La vida amable, el enemigo hombre fuerte, ordinario el peligro, natural la defensa, la Ciencia para conseguirla infalible, su estudio forçoso, y el exercicio necessario conviene al que huviere de ser Diestro, no ignore la teorica, para que en la practica, el cuerpo, el braço, y los instrumentos obren lo conveniente a su perfeccion. --Don Luis Pacheco de Narvaez.

I think for the first sword blade and hilt does not match.
    Blade is early to middle 18th century, of the very high quality and could be from French officer's broadsword.
    Hilt is somewhat ugly and definitely from another price grade. Likely locally made from shortened broadsword blade, may be in colonies.
    Last edited by Ivan B.; 04-11-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Javier and Ivan, thanks for your input although conflicting very helpful. With misspelled name on second piece I think we can assume a later period copy of a 16th century Sebastián Hernandez blade late 17th early 18th.. The hilts similar in form possibly Colonial, definitely not Spanish proper. First blade no conclusion possibly 18th or 19th. 1750 to 1820 on both? Does that sum up your thoughts?