Thread: A British 1796 or U.S. Sword.

A British 1796 or U.S. Sword.

Just bought this from a fellow who said might be American 1796 model. To me it looks like British 1796 Infantry unofficial pattern. She's light 28 inch blade, plain steel is clean no makers marks anywhere. Has double edge last 8 inches and extream curve. Looks like crunchy fish skin grip with original straight parallel wires under newer set twisted wire. Plain steel langets and backstrap.The ferrule looks like one on an Osborn I have.
    I am unsure as to what exactly this sword is. Name:  001.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  95.3 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  94.0 KBName:  003.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  96.4 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  96.9 KB
    Last edited by G.J.West; 05-01-2021 at 05:31 AM.

I have a couple of these trooper 1803 pattern flank officer blades. One out of Tejas and one I picked up in Mexico. Iron bird head pommel, plain leather grip with flat blade. I assume made in Solingen for anywhere market.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

No wonder I got it cheap..

George how are things going? Cheap or "inexpensive"?? You do find some interesting things.

I do not have records but believe Spain imported these and 1796 light cavalry pattern 1800 to 1820 in their decline in Mexico. Parts, partial swords and swords found there lean that way. I am not informed on other countries that used these.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Thanks for info. Just reading Mexico used Brit swords during 1820's+ period. I do know they still find the occasional Bess down there. I May see couple letters of Solingen stamp visible on blade. Always looking. Cheers.

I'm not sure I'm following this in the right way. Why would this be a Mexican or Spanish sword? Did you buy it in Mexico?

What do you mean by “trooper 1803 pattern flank officer blade”?

Merely that it is not lion head or etched but rather plain for a British or Mexican officer. The ones I own are leather grips with plain blades.

L.O.L, sorry guys possibly house of swords ??? !!! walters struck again !!!!... bill

I'm reminded of these

A few of these "cantese" I have archived.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

cantnese ??? china fake canton china wow bill

Quote Originally Posted by william fisher View Post
    cantnese ??? china fake canton china wow bill
    I dunno Bill, why you wouldn't have simply replied they were from the House of Swords.

My jibe "cantese" was for canted hilts. Maybe I should have used cantees and you would have wondered why they were thirsty

may be not from there...... may be else where somebody else is producing then china that one was a few days ago and also i slept that night