Thread: *RARE* "Rumford" Style Sabre.

*RARE* "Rumford" Style Sabre.

Forgive me if this gets wordy. I have sabre that no one has been able to definitively identify or find a mate to. In all my research thus far I've encountered similar swords but always with differences in the grip, blade length or profile, fuller, etc. I contacted Bygone Blades and Mark Cloke as well as haunted every sword forum I could find. Richard at Bygone Blades gave me the best and most comprehensive analysis of my sword but even he admits that it's informed guesswork based on his experience and knowledge. So, here's the current status; probably made in one of the German states (ie: Bavaria or Saxony), possibly made for export, maybe to Latin America or elsewhere. Possibly a private commission from an infantry officer or dragoon who wanted a sword conforming to unit standard, but made to his specifications to suit his physique and fighting style. For it's age, it's in very good condition. The bars show signs of old breakage and repair. The scabbard is tight and sound, so no flopping around when the blade is removed. There are no marks of any kind other than the remnants of the engraving on the blade. The blade was clearly service sharpened but has only very minor nicks in the edge. Given all this preamble, I don't think $1000. is too out there for what may be a custom one-of-a-kind period piece. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Sword is now sold.