Thread: Prussian Mod 1854 Faschinenmesser, marked for the Boxer Rebellion?

Prussian Mod 1854 Faschinenmesser, marked for the Boxer Rebellion?

Guys: I found this rat on line at Stewart's in Arizona. There are lots of this model floating around, but very few with Imperial Protection Troops markings.

"O.A.7.7." which is Ost (Asiatischen) Artillerie. Regt. 7, weapon 7.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images  

More pix

Guys: Here are some more pix of this rare rat...No visible makers' marks, and there is a crown and cypher on top of the blade, but this is very indistinct, not legible at all. It could be Crown/Gothic O, but it is impossible to say for sure. The frog was a little damaged, so I removed it to get all the verdigris off the upper fitting, there was about 100 years of green stuff on there!

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Guys: The German language site that I visit, has confirmed that this weapon was issued to the 7th Battery (Mountain) of the East Asia Expeditionary Force Artillery unit. I was wrong, this is not really a Mod 54, rather it is the "Umgeändertes Modell" or Altered Model, which was made using the blades and scabbards of the earlier model from the 1830 era, and converted in 1850's to the new hilt. This is the source of the design of the Mod 60 Fusilier Bayonet hilt, and the later Mod 71 Bayonet hilt, the Prussians just added the latching mechanism and slot in the later model hilts.

Dale

Dale,

Do you have any photos of the earlier (1830's) model from which the older blades were taken and re-hilted for this model?

Dale you mention the 1860 Prussian Fusiliers bayonet, I've had several through the years and let them slip from my fingers which I now regret.