Thread: Latest purchase.

Latest purchase.

Just paid for this today, an Edwardian era Royal artillery sword in OK condition. Proof disk and a number on the spine, any suggestions as to manufacturer. I don't think its Wilkinson. Vendors photo's.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Hawkes comes to mind but I can't tell you why. No etching on the ricasso?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Mathieson View Post
    Hawkes comes to mind but I can't tell you why. No etching on the ricasso?
    Other than what is on the side with the proof disk, possibly but I won't know til it arrives though.

David, cant help with the maker question, but just wanted to say that it looks like a beautiful sword. I love the old Artillery Swords with the opposed wings and other etching. I have several.
    Best, Charlie

If you can, look under the leather washer. These swords with long shoulders and fleur de lys proof mark almost always come from Solingen, and often have a maker's mark hidden by the washer.

I have a Geo.V rifle regiment sword that I picked up that was retailed by Gaunt & Sons. It too has a serial number but I have no idea of the actual maker.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I have a couple of not-wilkinson swords with proof disks and spine numbers, imitation or adoption of a useful catalogue method. Or did they come first?

Quote Originally Posted by Max C. View Post
    If you can, look under the leather washer. These swords with long shoulders and fleur de lys proof mark almost always come from Solingen, and often have a maker's mark hidden by the washer.
    When it arrives I will post here.

Quote Originally Posted by LawrenceN View Post
    I have a Geo.V rifle regiment sword that I picked up that was retailed by Gaunt & Sons. It too has a serial number but I have no idea of the actual maker.
    Nothing personal, and it is an interesting sword, but start your own thread rather than piggybacking on this one. It causes confusion no one knows which sword is being talked about, and it's RUDE. It's interrupting a conversation about a specific item, not your sword, but the one I have gone to the trouble of posting about.

Below are some retailers I believe I have identified using this particular fleur-de-lis design. If I had to guess I would say it was a Solingen manufacturer supplying different British retailers and fitters, but that's just my gut feeling.

Pillin were probably one such customer as some of these mentioned like Hobson, Prater, Johnson and Myers and Mortimer are known Pillin customers. Yours isn't likely a Pillin though, by the time this was made pillin were probably using a singular P proof disc.

BAKER & CO., London
    Firmin and Sons, 153 Strand -
    H Hart, 26, pall mall, London
    Meyers & mortimer, Conduit st, london
    Prater & co, charing cross, london
    Sexton, Dawson Street Dublin
    Pillin, maker london
    W. Walscheid , Solingen
    C.Lake & Co, edgecombe st, stonehouse, Devon
    G Phillips
    Hobson & sons, Lexington St, Golden Sq're
    Hobson & sons, little windmill st, london
    J oconnor, lucknow, illegible
    J.B Johnstone, Sackville, St
    Maitland & Co, 25 Conduit st
    Oomer Jamal Vuyani
    W ford, outfitter, Portsea

Thank you, we all would like a named maker, but they were commercial products and Solingen were as good as any I suppose, (and better than some).

...And it arrived today, and is pretty damn near everything I wanted, and a little better than expected. Everything tight and minimal soiling or oxidation,some pitting but no bubbling to the plating of the hilt. I had a little worry because it was less costly than I would have thought, apparently the vendor thought of field sharpening as a defect, and it is well sharpened. The whole edge plane is taken down to sharpen it, and a very nice job it is, and has removed all the etching in that area. Personally I like this sort of thing, it usually means it went somewhere else other than the parade ground.
    The other side of the ricasso is absolutely plain and bright, no etching, nada!
    An odd little feature I have seen before, the tab looks to have been turned to the other side of the scabbard (and I checked, not just the blade put wrong way round into it) so that when put in the frog the usual way the three bars would have rubbed on the uniform. A left hander, or carried reversed? It's definitely not an accident.
    Nothing under the leather washer other than some dirt and old oil.

I have found out the reason for the odd position of the frog tab. At some point mounted officers swords were attached to the saddle in the reversed position, possibly for ease of draw. When moved to the Sam Brown frog they were still reversed. I wonder when this came in?Name:  Mntd-Officer-1899-Holt-collection-Copy.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  96.5 KB