Thread: Mole - Mountain Battery Sword Etching

Mole - Mountain Battery Sword Etching

Thought this may be of interest, not the sword specifically, but the Mole etchings to the blade, which I have never seen before. The smaller one had me puzzled for a while, I now think I’ve identified it as reading ‘Warora Steel’. Unbeknown to me, Warora, is a city in Maharashtra, India, known for its coal and steel production and exploited by The Tata Company (yes, the same we know today) in the 1880’s. So, is this blade etching a ploy by Messrs. Mole extolling the virtues of Indian steel of the era (a sort of ‘Toledo’, ‘Solingen’, ‘Ferrara’)? Also noted the double stamping on the blade spine isn’t up to the usual Mole standard. Given the frog stud location, this scabbard, an earlier square bottomed version, would be worn on the left hip curved to the rear, and not as for Indian Mountain Batteries, curved forward. In any case, quite unusual, sadly not mine, so I can’t state if there are any other markings present.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Ben that sword has interesting etching. The Mole stamping appears that the first strike was too light and the second not aligned perfectly. That it would be made in Birmingham I believe the Warora claim is for promoting private sales. As a broad opinion they were either made intentionally for export, were excess production or from a cancelled contract and Mole decided to sell them in India.
    There were many Princely States in India that may have purchased these. Definitely worthy of further research as many dealers would describe their swords.
    I don't recall seeing the etching in the Mole sword book by Robert Wilkinson Latham but I'll take a look as it's been some time since I looked at it.

Yep, I’ve had a good look through R.W-L’s Book, no references to be found, Princely States/export entirely plausible. Definitely the first one I’ve come across though.

Ben, really interesting subject, and certainly unusual markings that I've never seen before; would be really good to know if there's any other markings, particularly under the langets.

Ben if this is not your sword, make it so! I have always had great interest in swords with interesting details that can be researched.
    This sword must have some interesting history.

Sorely tempted! Wish it had some unit markings though.