Espada ancha

Name:  17788.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  97.1 KBName:  17788.jpg
Size:  97.1 KBName:  17792.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  92.4 KB

Ornate espada ancha 37 inch blade, 1 lb. 6.5 oz. POB 7.75 inch from hilt.
    Tom the longer ones seem to be suited for horse back. The soldado de cuera fought from horse back as did frontier vaquero both utilized this type blade. The soldado de cuera also used two spears, blunderbuss, adarga shield and a string of 5 to 7 horses.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

Tri fuller espada ancha

A common tri fuller blade,, these blades are also common on Colonial cup hilts of the late 17th early 18th. Long and short blades being found on both.
    Weight 9.6 Oz
    blade length 27 ¼ inches

And a traditional flat blade missing shash langet
    Weight 2 lb.
    Blade 26 ⅝
    POB 7 ⅜ from hilt
    POB 5 inches from hiltName:  17950.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  99.9 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Eric Fairbanks; 01-03-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." --- Tench Coxe

It is my belief although speculative that as the Spanish control declined so did its support. Cup hilt blades were refited to the more comfortable espada ancha hilt that wore easily on the hip with a shash. The later examples tend to be less ornate and crude in construction. These were most likely used for foraging and protection by men trained to fight but not in sword play. Their main adversary the Native Americans on their frontier.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    Name:  17788.jpg
Size:  97.1 KBName:  17788.jpg
Size:  97.1 KBName:  17792.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  92.4 KB

Ornate espada ancha 37 inch blade, 1 lb. 6.5 oz. POB 7.75 inch from hilt.
    Tom the longer ones seem to be suited for horse back. The soldado de cuera fought from horse back as did frontier vaquero both utilized this type blade. The soldado de cuera also used two spears, blunderbuss, adarga shield and a string of 5 to 7 horses.
    That's a traveling arsenal!
    Tom Donoho

Tom, I believe the frontier vaquero and Presidio soldiers preformed amazing feats on the border lands.

If you search in google
    "Dragones de cuera" you will get a free pdf by the Spanish ministerio de defensa.
    Soldados de cuera will also give some new literature.
    Last edited by Javier Ramos; 01-06-2022 at 09:07 AM.

I have seen that pdf a number of times unfortunately I cannot find an English version.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fairbanks View Post
    Tom, I believe the frontier vaquero and Presidio soldiers preformed amazing feats on the border lands.
    Eric,

Thanks for all the info on these swords/sabers (straight and curved blades).
    Tom Donoho