Thread: Prussian IOD 89 with Flat Mountings

Prussian IOD 89 with Flat Mountings

Fellows; This is the hard to find, IOD 89 mit Glatter Montur, or Flat Mountings. This was, apparently, a cheaper version of the usual gold plated brass or tambak basket hilt model.

I think the blade was the main thing to the Prussians, so this one has the usual 23mm blade with two grooves, and a similar scabbard to the more expensive examples.

This model is mentioned in the book, and illustrated quite nicely. Of course it bears the cypher of Wilhelm II like the other Infantry Swords. There is no visible makers' mark on the blade, and the grip is the cheap plastic dip over wood, in place of the more expensive shagreen. The hilt is iron with black lacquer finish as described by the German sources.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Nice sword Dale. I love these black painted iron hilt swords and I have not come across one of these P guard IOD swords with a grip insignia. You come up with some of the neatest German sword variations.

Congratulations!
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

George: Thanks! It was advertised as a "Nazi Firesmans (sic) Sword" on E Bay. I have no idea why the seller had this notion. The German book on the IOD 89 is where I found out about this variation, and in many years of collecting, I have seen only two in person. Not all that common in the US. I have been unable to determine if this model is war time, or just made like that in peacetime. The book has no further information about it.

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 04-08-2022 at 12:45 AM.