Thread: French Mle 1854--Captured in the FPW

French Mle 1854--Captured in the FPW

Guys; A French Mle 1854, captured by Prussia in the FPW.

More Pix when it arrives.

Dale
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 08-06-2022 at 10:45 PM.

Very cool. I found one at the Hartford Show in 2008. Although the spine marks have been scrubbed, the poincons point to that period, with a spear point.

These are a lot of sword.

I like the percussive boink when striking wood in a blow with the point.

Cheers
    GC

Mle 1854 Prussian Use

Guys; I have received the weapon and rewrapped the wire on the grip. I used the same diameter wire as the existing wire. This was not easy, one could spend many words describing the process!

I used some furniture clamps with padded jaws to hold the wire, and had to fish the rest thru the guard, a long and tedious process. I drilled out the plug and made a new one from Italian walnut, just like the French and Germans used. Later, the brass might get some cleaning, but for now it will sit like this with the Napoleonic Prussian captured Mle. AN XIII, and the Russian pattern of 1819. After 50+ years of looking, I have all three of the Prussian style Cuirassier swords. If you want more data, let me know.....

Dale

That looks very nice Dale. Did you take any photos of the repair process along the way?
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

George; No, I was cussing and forgot to record the work! What I did was remove one loose strand of the old wire, measured it, and obtained some brass wire, from which the coating was removed, so it would eventually tarnish. I wound the wire with my electric drill and matched the original twist, and rewrapped the grip. Not really all that hard, but I do not have a good heavy vise here, so I had to hold it and wrap it with two hands---not fun.

Since this is the armorers' weapon, it is shorter than the troopers' blade, 82.5 cm vs 89 cm. It was Prussian practice for the armorers to have a slightly shorter blade, I do not know why.

Dale

Well, the end result certainly looks good with or without pictures. Congratulations!
    "You can't please everyone, so you have to please yourself." Ricky Nelson

nice sword Dale only one question l got is what is the what are the hilt guard markings ? .... 8.. X.. X _... sorry just wondering the info on the bar thanks bill

Bill: "8. K. H. 50." which is: 8th Kurrasieren, Handwerker Abteilung weapon 50. The Handwerker Abteilung was the Unit Armorers and Maintainers of all the gear.

Dale

The Three Prussian Paloschen

Guys: Here are the three patterns used by Prussia for the heavy cavalry. Left to right: Mle 1854, Russian pattern of 1819, and AN XIII captured by Prussia and issued.
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 08-22-2022 at 08:38 PM. Reason: add BS!

thank s for the info Dale ...bill

One Prussian acceptance mark

Bill: One thing to point out, when the Prussians rebuilt the AN XIII, they rewrapped the grip. Using about twice as much wire as the French method. The Mle 1854 was OK with the Prussians, but the AN XIII was not up to their current thinking, so they changed them to suit their own ideas.

There as one more change made in Prussian use, in the 1880's, they bent the top of the guard forward. They issued a directive and a pattern for a tool to accomplish this modification. This was done to all the Kürrasier Swords except the Russian patt. 1819.

The Russian pattern of 1819 was left as is for some reason.

Keep in mind that this is all I can say for sure, no speculation!

Dale

PS: I have added the solitary Prussian Acceptance Mark--"Abnahmstempln"
    Last edited by Dale Martin; 08-25-2022 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add pix