Thread: Cold Steel Baskethilt review by Vince Evans

Cold Steel Baskethilt review by Vince Evans

Awhile back a friend of Vince Evans asked him to review/checkout thier Cold Steel baskethilt, and give his impressions of it.....

As Dale Seago recently reviewed this piece, Vince figured he'd just add the specifications on the one he handled , with some good pic's of it's disassembled hilt, and a few thoughts on it!

Mac

The following is Vince's report & pic's !

Blade Length: 32-1/4"
    Blade Width at Hilt: 1-9/16"
    Blade Width 3" from Tip: 1-1/8"
    Blade Thickness at Hilt: 7/32"
    Blade Thickness 2" from Tip: 1/8"
    Tang Width: .535"
    POB: 4-3/4"
    COP: 10-3/4" from tip
    Overall Length: 39-1/2"
    Total Weight (not including sheath): 3 lb. 4 oz.
    Fullers: approximately 18" in length
    Grip: 5"
    Blade Weight: 1 lb. 9-3/4 oz.
    Hilt Weight (basket & components): 1 lb. 10-1/4 oz.
    Basket Width: 5"
    Basket Depth: 5" (front of basket to additional rear guards)
    Basket Height: 5"
    Thickness of Bars of Basket: .114"
    Manufactured in India

My overall impression is that this Cold Steel Basket Hilt is not a bad
    sword for the price, although having handled quite a few original basket
    hilts, I'm somewhat biased.

* Pic of an original Regimental baskethilt that the Cold Steel model appears to be based on!

The blade seems to be very tough, although a little thick on the edge. I
    flexed the blade 8" without it taking a set. The fullers are nicely done,
    as are the grip and the sheath. The grip is wire-bound leather over wood
    with a blued steel ferrule. The basket is well constructed, although it
    has some sharp edges that could be rounded with a file. The forward guards
    should have been rounded bars to match the basket instead of flat strips.
    The hilt is constructed in traditional military style with a recessed tang
    nut. A piece of 1/8" music wire takes it apart, revealing a hollow pommel.
    Personally, I think the pommel should have been solid. When re-assembled,
    the end of the grip tends to sink into the hollow pommel.

I also noticed,
    while doing some light cutting, that the blade can twist slightly at the
    guard due to an oversized tang hole.

I haven't done any heavy cutting with it but Cold Steel has a reputation
    for tough blades.

-Vince Evans , April 2002

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
    Mac's Picture Trail

Mac, please pass on my thanks to Vince for this further review and the photos!

From the specs posted, it sounds like there's a bit of variation from one piece to another: His blade is a teensy bit longer; a teensier bit wider at the base; POB is 3/4" further forward on the blade than mine; and the overall weight is a quarter-pound over the "on-paper" specs from Cold Steel. I had been inclined to dismiss Cold Steel's claim about the blade of this sword being hand-forged, but with this amount of individual variation it may well be true.

Haven't done any heavy cutting with mine yet, but so far no reason to think I'll encounter that slight turning of the blade Vince mentioned.

I haven't completely disassembled mine: never actually removed the grip. Vince mentioned something about using wire to do that: Did he tell you just HOW he did it, or can you check with him and find out?

And yes, the blade seems like it should be a tough one; and probably harder than period originals as well if Cold Steel's claims of Rockwell hardness of 55 in the body of the blade and 57 at the edge are correct.
    'S coma leam, 's coma leam cogadh no sith,
    Marbhar 'sa cogadh, no crochar 'san t-sith mi.

It's all the same to me war or peace,
    I'm killed in the war or hung during peace.

Can the red cloth inside the basket be removed? Or will this make it uncomfortable?

I like basket hilts but I never really have liked the looks of the red cloth inset all the production basket hilt makers put in them.
    Eric Litton

Hi Dale.....

.... Yup, I bet these models do vary a little , especially if they are really 'banging' them out!
    It's interesting that Cold Steel went with those flat, Glasgow-ish, forward guards, instead of the usual round !
    I sent Vince an e-mail , thanking him for you, and asked about his 'music wire' method that you were curious about.... I'll let you know if I hear anything ....Or perhaps Vince will pop by here and let us know !

Slàinte, Mac
    Mac's Picture Trail

Hi Eric,
    The basket on this model seems roomy enough that you could do without the red liner without a problem! ( I dont care for the look either) If anything you could get a nice piece of buff leather and just line the blade end!
    Mac

Originally posted by Eric Litton
    Can the red cloth inside the basket be removed? Or will this make it uncomfortable?

I like basket hilts but I never really have liked the looks of the red cloth inset all the production basket hilt makers put in them.
    Mac's Picture Trail

Hilt Removal

Originally posted by Dale Seago
    I haven't completely disassembled mine: never actually removed the grip. Vince mentioned something about using wire to do that: Did he tell you just HOW he did it, or can you check with him and find out?
    Dale, I used 1/8" music wire to remove the tang nut (you mentioned using an ice pick or steel rod). With the pommel off, just smack the end of the tang with a wooden mallet to remove the hilt.

Mac, thanks for posting the review with pictures.

Re: Hilt Removal

Okay, I'm clear on the concept now.

Thanks, Vince!

No Red for Fred

Fred Talley removed the red liner & fringe on his Cold Steel basket.... You can view a few pic's of it Here

Slàinte, Mac
    Mac's Picture Trail

Tang Hole In Basket

Vince commented,

"I also noticed, while doing some light cutting, that the blade can twist slightly at the guard due to an oversized tang hole."

Friday night I totally disassembled my own sword. The tang hole in the basket is nice & snug at top and bottom, but a wee bit open on each side of the tang, which could result in the slight twisting Vince noticed.

If these blades are in fact being hand-forged, there's going to be a bit of varation from one tang to another, while the tang-hole in the baskets are probably uniformly punched out. If so, then what CS should really have the makers do is deliberately make the tang hole a bit small, then hand-file to fit each individual blade.

Short of that, however, it seems that a do-it-yourself quick fix might be to make a couple of shims from copper sheeting and put them on the sides (or top & bottom, wherever the major gaps are) of the tang and into the hole; the handle should hold them in place when you push that back on.

Just a thought. . .

On the Salt River in the Outer bluegrass of Kentucky

Re: Oversize Hole In Basket

"........it seems that a do-it-yourself quick fix might be to make a couple of shims from copper sheeting.....[/QUOTE]

OR, and it might be simpler (no shims to loose) peen the metal on either side of the tang hole with a small ball pein hammer or a round nosed punch to spread the metal and close the hole slightly. I imagine its soft enough.
    Richard Mize
    Fox Creek Forge

Anybody got an Addy?

ANybody have an address where we can get Cold Steel swords or other items from their special products line?

Re: Anybody got an Addy?

Originally posted by JD Charles
    ANybody have an address where we can get Cold Steel swords or other items from their special products line?
    coldsteel.com
    David K. Wilson, Jr., Laird of Glencoe
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley... -- Robert Burns

See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.

-- Isaiah 54:16

Re: Re: Oversize Hole In Basket

Originally posted by Richard M.

"........it seems that a do-it-yourself quick fix might be to make a couple of shims from copper sheeting.....

OR, and it might be simpler (no shims to loose) peen the metal on either side of the tang hole with a small ball pein hammer or a round nosed punch to spread the metal and close the hole slightly. I imagine its soft enough.
    [/QUOTE]

Now THAT sounds like a superb idea. Yes, it's mild steel and soft enough. Thanks very much for the suggestion!!

Re: Anybody got an Addy?

Originally posted by JD Charles
    http://www.onestopknifeshop.com/stor...el-swords.html

I've never bought anything from this vendor, but their prices certainly look good. Very good.

If anyone has experience buying from them, I'd like to hear it. Plan on getting the CS Viking from them in a few months.