Thread: Altering a bokken

Altering a bokken

Hi all another newbie here,

Im currently experimenting with a two sword style involving a katana and a wakizashi. (i teach myself via books and the internet as i work a 72 hour week and find most instuctors/dojos closed when i finish work)
    I have two good quality 60" red oak bokken' and want to shorten one to the average size of a wakizashi.
    Can anyone advise me on the approximate length i should be looking at to give a balanced and genuine feel to this training weapon?

Many thanks,
    "Say you know when you know; say you dont when you dont. That is knowledge." - Confucius

"The pen is mightier than the sword you say? Lets test that theory shall we, you can have a biro?"

www.the-exiles.org.uk

Exclamation dont do it....

leave the bokken alone...

just buy a shoto from playwell
    http://www.playwell.co.uk/store/acat...eapons_57.html

half way down the page

priced around a fiver... tis a bargain.

( I do not work for playwell, nor do I work for any advertising company..... I just think its a shame to carve up a bokken for no reason... (must be due to my fondness for my own))

Paulo (wooden sword weirdo)

Many thanks paulo, i have not been able to find a good quality shoto through my regular supplier and was at a bit of a loss as to where to look.
    Are these guys good on quality as £5.95 strikes me as being on the budget side a little?
    The one problem i have had with buying cheaper bokken in the past is poorly fitting tsuba's which need glueing (which is easy to break off) or additional carpentry (which i find fiddly).

Regards
    "Say you know when you know; say you dont when you dont. That is knowledge." - Confucius

"The pen is mightier than the sword you say? Lets test that theory shall we, you can have a biro?"

www.the-exiles.org.uk

I agree, don't try and dice up a perfectly good bokken, if its any good at all, it'd be a serious pain in the booty to work on, and its a shame to wreck nicely made ones anyway.

I'd refer you to the "looking for a few good bokken" thread a mite further down, most bokken sellers sell waki's as well.
    "Its is only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything"

Dont buy crap

I didnt check that site referenced above. But I would warn you, please never buy cheap bokken.

http://bokkenshop.com/eng/index.html

Cheap bokken can get your or a training partener injured, or in the ultimate worst case senario, killed.

Please invest in your self.
    Keven Cecil
    www.whiteherondojo.net White Heron Dojo

Blessed is he who expects nothing, for he is never dissapointed. Just making the cut is enough.

Don't ruin a good bokken!

Everyone already told you that...

Keep in mind, books will never substitute the real deal. Books are a learning tool if you already have a good foundation to start on but they are supplementary learning tools. Books don't point out a lot of the necessary fine motor movements that may determine whether the technique works or not. Nobody to correct you, nobody to tell you if you're awkward or uncoordinated, nothing. But since you have a very long work week, I would suggest getting some videos along with the book because you can at least see the motions. If you have a friend who's okay at it, then let him teach you. Of course, a friend wouldn't catch a lot of things that an instructor might catch and your friend may not necessarily be the most skilled swordsman, but that's the most you can do in that schedule I'm afraid. MA take up a lot of time and dedication. I used to train around three hours daily... Until I had a very long workday myself and had to be ready 24 hours a day.
    It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
    - Robert Service

Re: Altering a bokken

Originally posted by C. Giles
    Hi all another newbie here,

Im currently experimenting with a two sword style involving a katana and a wakizashi. (i teach myself via books and the internet as i work a 72 hour week and find most instuctors/dojos closed when i finish work)
    I have two good quality 60" red oak bokken' and want to shorten one to the average size of a wakizashi.
    Can anyone advise me on the approximate length i should be looking at to give a balanced and genuine feel to this training weapon?

Many thanks,
    Buki Co. makes some nice ones. They are at http://www.concentric.net/~Bukico/dojoweb.html Their stuff is expensive, but very rugged. One of my friends has their katana and ninjato bokken and both are several years old with only light marks from wear. The straight-grain hickory is very tough.
    Last edited by JGGonzalez; 08-08-2003 at 07:18 PM.
    Cheers,

Joe Gonzalez

Link doesn't work
    It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out - it's the grain of sand in your shoe.
    - Robert Service

Originally posted by William Han
    Link doesn't work
    Sorry about that. I keep cutting and pasting it directly from the toolbar and get the same result. Try doing a search on "Buki Co." and "bokken".
    Cheers,

Joe Gonzalez

Wink Period ...

Hi Joe,
    The problem you are having with the link is you are putting a period at the end of your sentence. The period is messing up the link.

Cheers,
    Paul Smith
    "Keep the sharp side and the
    pointy end between you and
    your opponent"

Re: Period ...

Originally posted by Paul Smith
    Hi Joe,
    The problem you are having with the link is you are putting a period at the end of your sentence. The period is messing up the link.

Cheers,
    That fixed it! Thanks for the tip.
    Cheers,

Joe Gonzalez

I have one of the Shoto from playwell.
    I use it a lot for kendo Kata.

Since this form of kata is not too agressive (contact wise) I have never had any problems with it.

Paulo

If you dont like UK suppliers try

http://www.e-bogu.com/unoakbok55cm.html

$5 .. gotta pay for shipping though.