Thread: I bought an antique cup-hilt rapier... (pics)

I bought an antique cup-hilt rapier... (pics)

I went to the big Antique Exhibition in Helsingborg last weekend (Antikmässan i Helsingborg). There I found this nice Spanish cup-hilt rapier in very good shape IMO. The hilt is a little loose, but that is expected on a weapon that is more than 300 years old. As you can see in the pics, there are some remnant of leather near the ricasso. It is very light, I forgot to weight it, and very nice balance. The blade is nearly sharp, and has a fuller on one side, and a diamond section blade with hollow ground edges on the other. I think the grip is wired with silver, and it is probably made later.
    The rapier is 104 cm long (41 inches).

The pics:

If you want more pics, just let me know.

And BTW, I paid 10000 SEK for it, which at the moment is about $1240.

A nice piece I believe, and I don't think it is too expensive either. What do you think?

/Lars
    Last edited by Lars Ekströmer; 08-11-2003 at 05:38 AM.

You...lucky...b@stard...

We hates you forever!!!

Just kidding, Lars. Wow!!! That is a beauty. And it looks like its in real good condition too. I'm green with envy...

(Thou shalt not covet thy neighbours rapier)

Einar
    SCHOLA GLADIATORIA

Mrs. Whitaker peered at the sword. "It must be very sharp", she said, after a while.
    "It can slice a falling hair in twain. Nay, it could slice a sunbeam," said Galaad proudly.
    "Well, then maybe you should put it away," said Mrs. Whitaker.

Neil Gaiman, Chivalry

Hehe

Yes, it is in good condition except for the loose hilt. But all the parts look really nice.

I recommend you head for Sweden for some of the big exhibitions as you will find very nice weapons for not so much money, especially considering how expensive it is in Norway at the moment.

/C

I might add that another antique weapons dealer had a sword from the Vendel era (7th-8th century) for sale at 40000 SEK ($5000).

/Lars

Originally posted by Lars Ekströmer
    Hehe

Yes, it is in good condition except for the loose hilt. But all the parts look really nice.

I recommend you head for Sweden for some of the big exhibitions as you will find very nice weapons for not so much money, especially considering how expensive it is in Norway at the moment.

/C
    Ooooohhh, I'd like that. But alas, I am but a poor student... I cannot afford gems like that...Oh woe is me.

Einar
    SCHOLA GLADIATORIA

Mrs. Whitaker peered at the sword. "It must be very sharp", she said, after a while.
    "It can slice a falling hair in twain. Nay, it could slice a sunbeam," said Galaad proudly.
    "Well, then maybe you should put it away," said Mrs. Whitaker.

Neil Gaiman, Chivalry

That is an absolutley beautiful sword. Congratulations Lars. Seeing several recent antique sword acquisitions on the forums has really piqued my interest in looking for old as well as reproduction swords.
    Last edited by Jay Barron; 08-11-2003 at 09:58 AM.
    Jay
    Constant And True

Thanks Jay, I'm very happy with it And I recommend anyone to consider a real piece as it is something special in handling a historical weapon.

/Lars