Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Impressions:1. International Festival for Historical German Martial Arts (long)

Thumbs up Impressions:1. International Festival for Historical German Martial Arts (long)

Hi everybody!

I'm dead tired and can keep myself upright only thriugh a continuous supply of coffee and tobacco, my muscles are a sore, my voice is almost gone, but I'm still grinning from one ear to the other: The 1. International Festival for Historical German Martial Arts was a blast!

Focussing exclusively on the martial traditions of Germany, this was AFAIK the first event of it's kind.

My very personal -and *very* verbose impressions of the event follow:

I arrived in Bayreuth on Friday by train (as it is my habit, I love travelling by train) in the early afternoon and was picked up by my good friend Claus Drexler. Alex Kiermayer showed up only a bit later and we went to a nice French Bistro for a coffee.

For all of you who come to Germany: You don't have to be a fan of Richard Wagner to stop by in Bayreuth , it's a nice city with a beautiful pedestrian area with lot's of old houses, built in the distinctive style of Upper Franconia.

Alex told us that the number of people had increased to ~70 -coming from all across Europe and from a lot of different backgrounds- in the last few days.

Considering the fact, that we did not promote the event too much aside from a few posts here and a on a few German websites, this was an overwhelming response!

While we we were talking about our expectations for the weekend, I noticed something that I considered to be a good omen: Right over the bar, unnoticed by us, there hung an old Schläger! (Bayreuth is an old University city and that still has duelling fraternities) For reasons I cannot intelligently explain, the sight of this old weapon hanging there and gathering dust made me feel comfortable, thinking that this will be a well-fated event.

After the coffee, we went to the Oberfrankenhalle to inspect the location. Walter Neubauer, whose innumerable contacts to the local authorities and
    associations came in extremely handy, managed to reserve a huge multi-compartments sports hall so we could run three classes simultaneously. He also built a truck full of wasters for all the weapons used on the weekend and organized some very good quality bucklers, so that every participant could buy or borrow something that he had not brought with him. Talk about planning ahead...

From the event site, we went to dinner in a nice Italian restaurant, and while we were working our way through the largest plates of antipasti that I've seen the guys and girls of Ochs Munich arrived. Although we don't meet more often than two or three times a year, it was just as if we had seen us yesterday, I just love that.
    For some other reason beyond explaining, every time we meet I do always think about that wonderful line out of Henry V. St. Crispian's speech, We happy few, few band of brothers...

Claus picked up Matt Galas from the train (he travelled to Bayreuth via Nuremburg and stopped by at the Germanic National Museum to take a look at some manuals ) and we hauled his and my baggage over to Lisa, one the girls from Ochs Bayreuth, who opened her home to us 'far-traveled ones' again.

Matt decided to stay at Lisa's place to prepare for his classes (that guy is the greatest perfectionist that I've ever met) and the rest of us went back to town.

Somehow, Claus had managed to reserve some spaces at the Irish Pub in Bayreuth, which was booked up months in advance because of Halloween.

Here we met the rest of the crowd again, and during the evening, some of the other attendee's showed up, among them some guys who I have never met before in person, Michael Huber and his colleagues from Paris, Colin Richards from Norway and Dave Rawlins from the U.K.

The Pub was crowded to the maximum, it was loud, it was hot, the Guiness was flowing freely, the live music was excellent (they event played one my all-time favorite songs for me) and I was talking to so many people in such a short order that I did not even found the time to smoke a pipe.

In short: The evening was just what this Rhinelander needed after weeks and weeks of hard work.

Eventually we left and went back to Lisa's where we watched the (insert fanfares here) Ochs video in German, which is finally finished!

I can only second what has been said about it here: A *Top-Notch* presentation of the foundations of German longsword, done in a clear-cut and precise manner by Hans and Alex.
    They made the video on their own nickel, so I ask all of you who are interested in the subject: BUY IT, as soon as you can get a hold of it!

As always during such events, time flies far too fast and by 3:00 a.m., half a dozen guys -half-dressed and not really sober anymore- decided it would be a good thing to finally stop talking about fencing and to get some sleep.

Now, on to the actual event:

We kicked things off at Saturday morning with a short introduction of the instructors that were holding classes at the event and which weapons they were presenting: Wrestling, dagger, Messer, sword and buckler, longsword and half staff, the whole curriculum of the German Martial Arts.

Following a brief explanation about the things that all the different arts have in common, the talking ceased and Hans shocked people into high gear with one of his (in)famous warm-ups.

After everyone was thoroughly warmed through, people went to their classes and training began.

I assisted Claus in a presentation about the technical and tactical approach of the German longsword, based on Peter von Danzig's verse and glossa on the Zornhau and Krumphau. Claus showed the attendees how the Masters grounded their teaching on the natural, unlearned responses of a man, building up on what he already knows. He did a really fine job on this and managed to open some eyes, teaching not only the 'how', but also the 'why'.

Parallel to this class Hans taught the use of the Messer and Alex instructed people in the foundations of Medieval German wrestling.
    Knowing the martial skill and teaching ability of Hans and Alex it was no surprise that both classes were very well received.

After a short break, Alex incorporated the dagger to what he established in his wrestling class while Matt Galas did a class on working from the bind, focussing on the techniques of Winden and their applications. Having seen Matt's thoroughly structured and extremely well presented stuff in Zurich two month's ago, I decided to tread virgin territory and I participated in Dave Rawlings' class on sword&buckler according to Ms. I.33, in which he was assisted by Colin Richards.

To say that I was mightily impressed would be a huge understatement. I was totally, utterly blown away!

Dave and Col are not only natural born showmen and top-notch chaps to hang around with, their intensity, energy and martial skill are second to none. Constantly emphasizing the need for precision, speed and power, they lead us through a series of exercises that made very clear what I.33 is about.
    Two thumbs all the way up!

After a second break Claus continued with part II of his class about von Danzig's teachings while Christoph Kaindel and 'Big Man' Harry from 'Dreynschlag' presented their interpretation of fighting with the half staff.

Knowing their humorous yet focussed way of teaching through their wrestling class in Munich last year, this would have been something that I really would have liked to see, but colliding schedules prevented that

But as they say, there's always Paris...or make that Dijon

Yours truly did a class on the various aspects of Ringen am Schwert assisted by Torsten Schneyer from our fellow group 'Zornhau' in Frankfurt.

How that class was received can naturally not be answered by myself, so I leave that up to others.

The first day ended with a lecture about the History of the 'Kunst des Fechtens', delivered by Matt Galas in his usual impeccable manner. Starting in the time of the Romans and filled with information from period sources, Matt painted a wonderfully informative picture about the development of the art we love so much.

A hearty buffet dinner at the club house of the "Bayreuther Turnerschaft", again organized by Walter, ended a truly fantastic first day, and we instructors went an extra mile back a Lisa's place and watched a video by one of the most (in)famous persons in the German Medieval Recreationist community, Herrmann Zu 'der Beliebteste'.

For those of you who do not know him, he's a Neo-Germanic charlatan as there can be one, selling gawd-awful SLO's ground out from mild steel at hilarious prices while enjoying an almost god-like admiration from his entourage.

His 'fighting system' consists of 5 ever-repeating blows and is most notable for it's complete absence of footwork while being completely out out distance.

You cannot imagine how hard he laughed...

On Sunday, I did a class on halfswording and participated in Alex's class on unarmed vs. Dagger. He stressed very nicely how the concepts and techniqes carry over from armed to unarmed fighting and vice versa, again an eye-opener for some people who did not work with this before.

The rest of the Saturday classes were repeated with a slightly different schedule, so every attendee had the chance to see something they had missed the day before.

Dr. Alfred Geibig, the Head of the Weapons and Armour Collection of the Veste Coburg and Chairman of the Society for Historical Weapon and Costume Research gave a very interesting lecture about the morphological development of the sword through the Middle Ages. Building up on the principle 'form follows function', and backed up by lots and lots of slides of archaeological finds, he showed how one can make assumptions about the use of the sword according to it's design, when changes in weapon design occured and why this did happen.

Although people's heads were already quite stuffed from all the previous information, his lecture was very well revceived and he took lots of time to answer questions afterwards.

Everyone felt Dr. Geibig's love for the subject and was deeply impressed by his immense knowledge.
    Maybe he'll join us again in future events, perhaps even on the practical side with a sword in his hands.

During the lunch break, Colin gave us an impromptu demonstration about his interpretations of sword and shield use.
    Having no experience with this fighting style, I was very impressed to see the different ways to use the shield defensively and offensively and the next thing on my equipment wish-list is a good round shield so I can start to learn this formidable weapon combo.

As a conclusion of the event, Hans set up his testcutting stand in the parking lot and many a watter bottle was slaughtered.

The time to say goodbye came far too soon, and after a farewell drink with Claus I boarded the train home, thinking about what I'm going to present next year, maybe a bit of Talhoffer's pollaxe...

So, to recap this way too long post(sorry, but I *definetly* felt like sharing this), I think it was a huge success and I think we really started something that is going to have a bright future.

I want to thank all of the attendees for coming together to train with us, Lisa and her family for the outstanding hospitality, and last but not least a thundering 'HUZZAH' to my fellow Ochsen Claus, Alex and Walter, who worked their butts off to organize the event and who brought to life one of the best events in my whole WMA life.

And to those of you who have not been there, you have *really* missed something.

Cheers,
    Jörg
    Member of Ochs

"It is a bad teacher that does not allow his student to become better than himself" (Sixten Ivarsson)

I will never forgive you for rubbing salt in my wounds Jorg..

It sounds totally awesome - I hope Dave forwarded my regards to everybody... I REALLY wish I could have been there.

See everybody in Dijon hopefully!

Matt

Originally posted by Matt Easton

I will never forgive you for rubbing salt in my wounds Jorg..

It sounds totally awesome - I hope Dave forwarded my regards to everybody... I REALLY wish I could have been there.

See everybody in Dijon hopefully!

Matt
    same here...but being maried carries some obligations that were more uncompressible that certain part of my anatomy..
    One Ringeck to bring them all and in darkness bind them,
    In the Land of Windsor where phlip phlop live.

http://www.ringeck.org

My thoughts are left to flounder and swell upon the rocky dubiousness of your words Phil.

Matt

Re: Impressions:1. International Festival for Historical German Martial Arts (long)

Originally posted by J�rg B.
    Hi everybody!

(SNIP)

Dr. Alfred Geibig, the Head of the Weapons and Armour Collection of the Veste Coburg and Chairman of the Society for Historical Weapon and Costume Research (SNIP)
    something.

Cheers,
    J�rg
    Jealous.

Joerg I wonder if anyone sought Dr. Geibig's opinion about the dating of I.33 based upon the clothing??

Steve

Re: Re: Impressions:1. International Festival for Historical German Martial Arts (long)

Originally posted by Steve Hick

Hi Steve!

Joerg I wonder if anyone sought Dr. Geibig's opinion about the dating of I.33 based upon the clothing??
    Maybe someone did, I did not, because I was rather busy preparing things after Dr. Geibig's lecture and I did not hear what people asked him.

Cheers,
    Jörg
    Member of Ochs

"It is a bad teacher that does not allow his student to become better than himself" (Sixten Ivarsson)

Re: Re: Impressions:1. International Festival for Historical German Martial Arts (long)

***double post deleted***
    Member of Ochs

Hello Jörg!

This sounds like it was a wonderful event - I'll second what Steve said: I'm jealous too!

I hope to make it over for next year's or perhaps to Dijon one of these days.

Take care my friend,

Christian
    Christian Henry Tobler
    Selohaar Fechtschule

The Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, Captain of the Guild, DVD: The Poleaxe, In Saint George's Name

"Though I love the stout blow and the cunningly placed thrust, my greatest joy when crossing swords lies in those rare moments when Chivalry herself leans over and takes one into Her confidence."

Originally posted by Christian H. Tobler

Hi my friend!

This sounds like it was a wonderful event - I'll second what Steve said: I'm jealous too!I hope to make it over for next year's or perhaps to Dijon one of these days.
    I'm looking forward to this day. And one of these days I'll come over to an event in the States.

You have my word on this one.

Cheers,
    Jörg
    Last edited by Jörg B.; 11-03-2003 at 11:46 AM.
    Member of Ochs

Talking

You seem to have had a great time. I wish I could have come.
    Best regards
    Bart

Dijon, Capitol of the Dukes of Burgundy (the True Dukes)...and now, alas, in France...
    Originally posted by Bart Walczak
    You seem to have had a great time. I wish I could have come.
    Same here, as Phil said.....

not only for Dr Geibig's lecture ( I am working on the same subject - and I was really tooking forward to meeting him and having a good 8-days talk with him...las..enough complaining. Is there a way I could get a summary or anything in written form from his lecture ? (or maybe even a way to contact him directly ? )), but of course for the fun with the rest of the gang..

I *know* I have missed something, Jörg, you cruel *censored* of a German.

anyway, you will all be happy to hear that the wedding I attended (as the best man mind you) was the most perfect wedding I have ever seen (almost too perfect : in a XIIIth century abbey, with XIVth to XVth century music....okay, I AM jealous)

now, can you imagine how hard it will be for me to do something only a quarter of a half of a third comparable to that, in Dijon next year ?

glad to hear things went that good. and jealous, of course. but I shall get my vengeance.

Fab
    HEMAC Member
    De Taille et d'Estoc director
    the Lion of Dijon

Originally posted by Fabrice Cognot

anyway, you will all be happy to hear that the wedding I attended (as the best man mind you) was the most perfect wedding I have ever seen (almost too perfect : in a XIIIth century abbey, with XIVth to XVth century music....okay, I AM jealous)
    [/B]
    What is it about weddings that they always seem scheduled against HEMA events? I've missed two that way!

Jorg, the event sounds magnificent and ground-breaking. I really love the idea of an event focused on a single tradition. Jealous congrats to all!

Greg
    Greg Mele
    Chicago Swordplay Guild

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Chivalric Fighting Arts Association

"If the tongue could cut
    as the sword can do,
    the dead would be infinite."

Filippo Vadi, "Arte Dimicandi Gladiatoria" (c.1482 - 87)

I Second That Emotion!

Greetings, all!

Just got back from Bayreuth. This was a truly first-class event, thanks to the hard work and hospitality of The Boys of Ochs. Claus, Alex, Hans & Walter - hats off to you!

The only downside for me was the age-old problem of wanting to be in 3 places at once. While I thoroughly enjoyed teaching such an attentive and focused crowd of martial artists, I really wanted to attend each of the other two workshops scheduled at the same time. I did make it to Claus Drexler's excellent presentation on Peter von Danzig's long sword techniques, as well as "Diamond Dave" Rawling's stunning I.33 workshop, and an impromptu but thought-provoking presentation on the use of the round shield by Colin Richards.

I regret missing the workshops by Alex Kiermayer (wrestling & dagger), Hans Heim (Leckuechner's Messer), Chris Kaindel (staff), and the irrepressible Joerg Bellinghausen (wrestling at the sword & half sword). I've attended workshops by each of these gentlemen in the recent past. Knowing the quality of their past presentations made missing their workshops so much the worse!

I must say that I am not an unbiased observer, since these guys feel like a second family to me ("we happy few"). That being said, I've observed presentations by all of the above at different events, and have practiced individually with each of them. They are all first-rate martial artists, with the combination I respect the most in an instructor: A good handle on the primary source material, coupled with solid martial skill in handling a sword.

The strongest impression I came away with is of a real maturing of the instructors over here in Europe, both in terms of teaching and technique. The WMA scene is really starting to hum over here right now - and these are the guys who are making it happen.

Regards,
    Matt Galas
    Mons, Belgium

Wow, wish I could have made it!

Jorg, Matt and Co.,

That sounds like it was a truly fantastic event. I am already saving up with the hopes to make it to the continent in 2005 or 2006 to attend a Kunst des Fechten weekend. I have one question: in what language are the seminars and lectures taught? I am endeavouring to learn German via computer based course, but without cultural immersion, I am afraid that my learning process is snail's paced at best. If I need to be conversant in German, perhaps this will be a kick-in-the-butt to get me motivated!
    Anyways, congrats on your seminar to all involved.

James Byrnes
    "Farewell sweet friend, I was a thousand times more evil than thou. "
    -------------Stormbringer--------------
    Rocky Mountain Historical Combat Guild

Re: Wow, wish I could have made it!

Originally posted by James Byrnes

Morning James!

That sounds like it was a truly fantastic event. I am already saving up with the hopes to make it to the continent in 2005 or 2006 to attend a Kunst des Fechten weekend.
    That would be great!

I have one question: in what language are the seminars and lectures taught? I am endeavouring to learn German via computer based course, but without cultural immersion, I am afraid that my learning process is snail's paced at best. If I need to be conversant in German, perhaps this will be a kick-in-the-butt to get me motivated!
    Since there were people from England, France and Sweden in attendance, the event was more or less bi-lingual, the classes were either held completely in English, or in German with 'on the fly' translation, and I think this will be continued in the future. So, you don't have to be conversant in German if you want to attend.

Anyways, congrats on your seminar to all involved.
    Thanks, much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Jörg
    who's a bit less sore but still grinning
    Member of Ochs

Re: Re: Wow, wish I could have made it!

Hello

and thank you out there.

You give us the opportunity to run such seminars, without your attendance and your will to spent money and sweat it would be not possible for us to hold such seminars.

Thank you again for the good time.

Hans
    Wer sich rührt der lebt, wer do leit is tot.
    Member of Ochs-historische Kampfkünste e.V.
    Member of HEMAC

Hello,

I'm back from Bayreuth and i just want to thanks those who make it possible, and all the nice people who were there.

It was interesting, it was fun, it was warmful, it was...great
    The only complain i have is that it was too short, so that i didn't have the time to chat with all those i would have liked to.

I really feel, like Matt Galas, that the hemac is like a second familly, full of great friends i am always happy to see and sad to leave.

Auf Wiedersehen,
    Michael Huber
    Arts d'armes
    http://www.artsdarmes.fr.st
    HEMAC member
    "Sol man an das liecht nicht lassen komen noch yeden man sehen lassen"

This was the second event I attended with the Ochs Seminar in Munich last fall being the first. I suspect I'm spoiled for good, now.

What can I say? It was great. The idea of having the first meeting (friday night) at an irish pub... When I first walked into the gym on saturday morning, it took me about two minutes to get pinned and pummeled by Dave Rawlings, in order to show some technique. This made one thing clear to me: You are back home. Or something.

I chose combat wrestling, dagger and wrestling vs. dagger (Alex Kiermeyer), complimented by staff (Chris Kaindel)and fighting from the bind (Matt Gallas). The choice was not soo hard for me, since we do a lot of von Danzig ourselves (and sent one of our group there to report the stuff back to us ) and I had attended Dave's mind- and body blowing I.33 drill last year.

See you around!

Edit: If you have digital pictures of the event available, please do not keep them for yourselves! I want to laugh, too!
    Last edited by Richard Strey; 11-04-2003 at 06:03 AM.
    www.langes-schwert.de

"He looks better in red." - River Tam, Firefly.

A note for you guys (especially Hans) - unlike Dave told me today he told you at the event - I certainly did not miss the event because it was only German stuff!! (heck, all that German stuff was copied from the Italians anyway! ) - I only missed the event because I am going to France this weekend and I didn't have enough holiday time left from work... Damn the British Government. If the Queen was still in charge I'm sure she would have let me come .

I'm REALLY looking forward to the next time we can all hook up - If it's Dijon (I'll be there for certain) then me and Craig will have some new stuff for you.. stuff from Bologna rather than Ferrara.. I hope we'll make Dave look like a big pansy who doesn't know how to use a sword and buckler .

Matt

Grudge Match

A grudge match it is, then!

Matt "Manciolino" Easton vs. Dave "the Monk" Rawlings.
    Fight scheduled for May 1 at the Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon!

I can hardly wait!

Regards,
    Matt Galas
    Mons, Belgium

Re: Grudge Match

Originally posted by Matt Galas

I can hardly wait!
    LOL, so can I! I'll bring the popcorn, who's im for the beer?

Cheers,
    Jörg
    Member of Ochs

Dijon, Capitol of the Dukes of Burgundy (the True Dukes)...and now, alas, in France...

Re: Grudge Match

make it between April 12 and 17 - dates to be confirmed
    HEMAC Member
    De Taille et d'Estoc director
    the Lion of Dijon

I've just returned from the Cologne City Archives. Matt G, that Cologne Fechtbuch you had a copy of is really there. I had it in my own shaking hands for about two hours today. Cost me a whole Euro of archive fees! I'm still grinning like a madman... it's the first Fechtbuch original I've been able to read.
    It is small and bound in what seems to be an even older parchment page. One that once belonged to a prayer book, it seems. *g* They have a 98-page velvet-bound book from the 17th century there, as well. It covers "Stossfechten" and has 63(!) page-covering pictures!
    www.langes-schwert.de

"He looks better in red." - River Tam, Firefly.

Wow! It sounds like a systematic search of archives in many European cities might still turn up a few surprises. Someone should start a database to keep a record of what originals are kept where.
    The increased attention necessarily paid by the men to the use of the sword, was soon found to inspire them with proportional confidence in their personal dexterity, whilst it led at the same time to the most successful course of instruction in horsemanship that has yet been adopted, as without skill in management of the horse, no proficiency could be attained in the use of the sword. - Maj Gen LeMarchant

Pan-Historical European Martial Arts Society, Singapore
    http://www.phemas.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast