Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gus in action!

Wow, it's great to see these swords in perspective. The AT1591 looks like it could cut the moon!

Excellent stuff. I don't have room for all these swords, but I don't care... I'm buying one, and soon.
    "In the middle of our life's walk I found myself in a dark wood, for the straight road was lost."

Lady's Jen and Restita, all I gotta say is:

Damn girls!!! You go!!

Nice moves, from both ladies.

As for the swords, I've gotta get the 1591, but first the 1506. I want a sword from the DN line, for obvious reasons, and the 1506 seems like a perfect sword. After that, the 1591.
    'I do not aim with my hand; he who aims with his hand, has forgotten the face of his father. I aim with my eye.
    I do not shoot with my hand; he who shoots with his hand, has forgotten the face of his father. I shoot with my mind.
    I do not kill with my weapon; he who kills with his weapon, has forgotten the face of his father........
    I kill with my heart.'

Hahah Tinkers cuts with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth are classic That tac sword sures chops through stuff.
    Gus is pretty casual too. I would love to have a shot at that drum.

(Something sneaky about those bottles in the US, they seem to dodge out of the girls way a couple of times)

Thanks for posting them Jennifer.
    Dreams are what get you started. Discipline is what keeps you going. - Jim Ryan
    http://www.geocities.com/havocmr/sword.html

Angus Trim is offline Moderator
    Sword Fabricator
    SFI Honorary Educational Advisor
    Originally posted by Bob Brennan
    Hahah Tinkers cuts with the cigarette hanging out of his mouth are classic That tac sword sures chops through stuff.
    Gus is pretty casual too. I would love to have a shot at that drum.

(Something sneaky about those bottles in the US, they seem to dodge out of the girls way a couple of times)

Thanks for posting them Jennifer.
    Yeah, those bottles are pretty good at bobbing and weaving.....

You notice they bought it in the end.....

I think the truth is both were "training" to be able to break Alex Chin's record at the Bat Cave of 12 pickle chips from a 2 liter bottle. At the end of the day, unfortunately after Lady Jenn ran out of film, the Gracious Lady Restita, tiger growls and all, was able to use the shop Lady Ash AT1526 and cut 14 pickle chips from a 2 liter bottle....

Auld Dawg

Thanks for posting the vids which are always great to see!

any video of this? If not, howabout getting a vid up if there is a next time?

"At the cutting party today, the 55 gal barrel got belligerent, particularly with Alex Chin, and Michael Stora. 30+ smacks later, several deep dents later, and three penetrations later, the barrel was a bit smarter.

The sword blade had some paint on it from the barrel, some barrel residue on the edges, and three small areal of "rolled edge".
    Custom made handle slab laminations
    http://www.pbase.com/bensweet
    "A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own." -Unknown
    ABN CL 15-89

14 is amazing. I was getting worried because I can't do more then 1 or two off a two liter without knocking it down, but I notice that your two liters are flat bottomed (Around here they got a wierd bumpy bottom seehere)
    I am sure with a flat bottom I could get at least 3! Back to practice!

Originally posted by Angus Trim
    Yeah, those bottles are pretty good at bobbing and weaving.....

You notice they bought it in the end.....

I think the truth is both were "training" to be able to break Alex Chin's record at the Bat Cave of 12 pickle chips from a 2 liter bottle. At the end of the day, unfortunately after Lady Jenn ran out of film, the Gracious Lady Restita, tiger growls and all, was able to use the shop Lady Ash AT1526 and cut 14 pickle chips from a 2 liter bottle....

Auld Dawg
    Dreams are what get you started. Discipline is what keeps you going. - Jim Ryan
    http://www.geocities.com/havocmr/sword.html

Originally posted by Bob Brennan
    14 is amazing. I was getting worried because I can't do more then 1 or two off a two liter without knocking it down, but I notice that your two liters are flat bottomed (Around here they got a wierd bumpy bottom seehere)
    I am sure with a flat bottom I could get at least 3! Back to practice!
    -- Yep, we got the wierd bumpy bottoms on the 2 liter bottles too. The small water bottles are flat, though. Alot of times especially if Tinker or Alex or Gus cuts, the bottles stay absolutely STILL, no wobbling or anything......'cuz they cut so FAST...
    Restita DeJesus

"The expectations of life depend upon diligence;
    The mechanic that would perfect his work, must first sharpen his tools."
    - Confucius

http://www.facebook.com/SeattleWushu

Watching these videos makes me wonder if they open their bottles of coke with a sword at home. They look VERY practiced with bottle caps.

Linza Cook

Sword Fabricator
    Originally posted by B.Sweet
    Thanks for posting the vids which are always great to see!

any video of this? If not, howabout getting a vid up if there is a next time?
    Hi Ben

That particular incident went without photos, but if you look further down the first page of this thread, Jennifer posted two links to a couple of videos where the same can took a little more heat. The first video is the three gals striking it, the second video features Tink smackin' it a couple times......

Hi Ben

That particular incident went without photos, but if you look further down the first page of this thread, Jennifer posted two links to a couple of videos where the same can took a little more heat. The first video is the three gals striking it, the second video features Tink smackin' it a couple times......
    Thanks Gus, somehow I missed the post twice!
    Custom made handle slab laminations
    http://www.pbase.com/bensweet
    "A Liberal is a person who will give away everything he doesn't own." -Unknown
    ABN CL 15-89

I love how the 1591 enters the frame long before you see the wielder. The blade just keeps coming and coming.

Can't believe how quick that thing moves, though! Just amazing.

And a very no nonsense approach to Gus' cutting. Step right up and WHAMO -- the bottle is toast. Didn't get to see you cut last time around, Gus. I am impressed! Nice acceleration...

Thanks for the vids, Jennifer!

Regards,

David
    "...forasmuch as they are to encounter many, and to the end they may strike the more safely, and amaze them with the fury of the Sword."
    Di Grassi

Originally posted by Linza Cook
    Watching these videos makes me wonder if they open their bottles of coke with a sword at home. They look VERY practiced with bottle caps.

Linza Cook
    -- Aim the for taking off the bottle cap, and ya get a whole helluva lotta cuts left to take on the bottle! Why waste a good bottle for only 2 cuts? hee hee hee!

The AT "Lady Ash" is what I preferred to use that day...cuts like a charm. I also cut with my namesake, the Lady Restita....that's quite a fast sword too, albeit almost as tall as I am!!! Then there's that 1591....Gawd...the blade just kept going and going just like David Fuller said....I "oops" it though, on one cut,.... on one of the vids, I took a diagonal cut on the bottle and didn't quite account for the length of the 1591...If ya listen carefully, you'll hear a "tlink" sound as the tip hit the ground.(oops)...but a very fast sword, too!!!!

Gus, what was the AT model that I was using on the cardboard tubes?...the one with the quad fullers??? So many models, I can't figure out who's who and what's what sometimes!
    Restita DeJesus

- Confucius

I noticed that little "tink". Did it do much damage to the blade?

-v
    W.W.D.N.D?

Sword Fabricator
    Originally posted by Restita DeJesus

Gus, what was the AT model that I was using on the cardboard tubes?...the one with the quad fullers??? So many models, I can't figure out who's who and what's what sometimes!
    Actually, double fullered.......*g*

That's the DN1317

Yep....

You looked as good cutting with that sword as any of the others.....

Yep

*g*

I see where you scratched the blade on the asphault {1591}, but its not bad enough to fix yet......

Sword Fabricator
    Originally posted by Vincent Labolito
    I noticed that little "tink". Did it do much damage to the blade?

-v
    Nope....

You can see the mark right on the very point, but its not bad enough to fix for a user...... Now if I eventually sell this sword as a discount demo, then I'll make the tip like new...... But its still sharp, still thrusts fine.....

Auld Dawg

Forgive me for saying so, but why are you hitting that metal can , with a nice sword? Isnt this sword abuse and what is the point of damaging the sword?

Nope....

You can see the mark right on the very point, but its not bad enough to fix for a user...... Now if I eventually sell this sword as a discount demo, then I'll make the tip like new...... But its still sharp, still thrusts fine.....

Auld Dawg
    -- Oops!
    As a consolation, it did make me feel a tiny bit better knowing that Gus's small and heavy tools were right there in the shop, 10 strides away.....

OOH! Discount demo on the 1591! I'll bet ya a jillion bucks someone is gonna contact you or James about it, Gus!

oops...yeah...the "double fuller".

I musta counted "both sides" LOL That shot right thru the big ol' cardboard tube with a satisfying "thwak".....

Forgive me for saying so, but why are you hitting that metal can , with a nice sword? Isnt this sword abuse and what is the point of damaging the sword?
    -- I'd imagine, (but Gus would be the guy to ask) that although it does count as a form of "sword abuse", that smacking a steel drum would be one way of gauging the strength and flexibility of his blades. (I'd guess....but again, Gus will be the guy to ask). The sword we were using to smack the drum was a prototype of sorts. There was no edge damage to the blade, even though the drum suffered a good gash clean thru a few times! Would I smack a good purchased Atrim on a drum?....maybe not, but at least I'd know Gus's blade could handle it. As a side note, I've never heard of Gus testing a blade that's set for customer delivery, on a drum.
    Restita DeJesus

- Confucius

I couldnt get the videos to work. Am i supposed to do more than just click on the link?

Originally posted by Joseph L. Yurgil
    I couldnt get the videos to work. Am i supposed to do more than just click on the link?
    -- try right-clicking the link, and "save target as", or whatever your browser offers as a similar choice. That way you'll upload it directly to your computer and be able to view it in the media player of your choice. I have dialup, and it took almost an hour to upload one video. But at least you'll be able to view 'em.
    Restita DeJesus

- Confucius

prototype testing eh?

well if you say so!

Sword Fabricator
    Originally posted by william.m
    prototype testing eh?

well if you say so!
    Hi William

Yep, a prototype. A prototype of a greatsword, a 4lb sword that should be able to take full power shots against plate armor. Never mind that its not the best thing to use against a plate armored foe...... This is one sword type that should be able to be used to bash a foe a few times.....

And still cut real well just a bit later.......

Still, each blow like that does add some "fatigue" to the blade's infrastructure. If it got daily doses of that, it'd likely give somewhere in a few years.......

Auld Dawg

Originally posted by william.m
    prototype testing eh?

well if you say so!
    *wink*

With all the swift bashing that Tinker put on that drum, we'll count the "few years" as a "few semesters". He sure gave that drum the what for!
    Restita DeJesus

- Confucius

lol okay then.

looks pretty good though for a prototype!

Keep up with the good work.

Originally posted by Joseph L. Yurgil
    They were downloading fine earlier, but now Internet Explorer claims the files do not exist...because of this:

swordlady.com

Daily bandwidth limit exceeded. Some of us will just have to wait to see the vids, I guess. Too much downloading in one day on the site..
    Last edited by M. B. Taylor; 06-22-2004 at 04:27 PM.
    - Brent Taylor

"Swords are fun!"

Originally posted by M. B. Taylor
    They were downloading fine earlier, but now Internet Explorer claims the files do not exist. None of them..
    -- I wonder if Jennifer is doing some 'file management" or something.....
    Restita DeJesus

- Confucius

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast