Thread: Ideal forge burner....

Ideal forge burner....

Ok,
    A friend of mine had this big discution about what would be the ideal burner to place in a forge? So, I wanted to get everyone input on what you guys felt was the ideal burner?
    "Live with honor. Face live with courage"

on that works!

I built my own
    Ed

Start by going thru this lot of goodies.

http://forums.swordforum.com/search....der=descending

There is a Burner for everyone. And not all are the same.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

I've been messing with a few burners these last few months. I've used the Fogg blower style for quite a while now and thought I'd try something new. Tried the blower style from Tim Zowada's sight, didn't like it. Too hard to adjust and keep burning. I've built the standard Reil burner a few times. They work but can be tempermental with adjustments. Plus I've had trouble with forge size to burner output. Probably more my error than anyone else's in all cases.

I've gone back to the Fogg style on all forges now and am happy again. Easy and cheap to build and works.

I did build some of the side arm burners from Larry Zoeller's sight and I like them a lot. I've still got the burners for some future project.

Dan

Cool Thanks for the reply...

Hi everyone.
    Thanks for the replies. I have to agree. The best burner is one that works. The first burner I built was the Reil burner. I great for the work I do. Have a great day.

PS ... Also, thanks Arik for the links. I will past them on to my friend. That way I can show him that the options for a burner is only limited by the owner.

Just for your information, someone has recently published a book on gas forges. I'm pretty sure I saw it in a recent copy of Fabricator. If I can find it, I'll post the title.

Thanks for repling...

Hi Gerald,
    That sounds great. Please post the title and aurthor. Elree

heres mine http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91033 ...got it on sale for 11 bucks ..i have yet to build the forge to go along with it, so i haven't used it on steel yet...but the flame is big, blue, and HOT. anyone know if this is really good or really not?
    "There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't"
    -bash.org

i've heard good things about mr. price's burners at www.hybridburners.com....:-)
    "Don't be an idiot and die for your country. Let that other s.o.b die for his." -George Patton

Violence is not the answer. Violence is the question. Yes is the answer!

John: "an anarchy would never work. people are too stupid."
    Dan:"what's an anarchy?"
    John: "yeah, see?"

I will say of the LORD: He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, and in Him I will trust. -Psalm 91:2

Peter has spoken.

One of the joes at the shop has the magazine at home. As soon as he brings it back, I'll post the title and author.

I use Rex Price's T-Rex burner, I have two of them, but unless I need to weld up some really huge billets one of them is enough.
    "Now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall live and die at my post.
    I am the sword in the darkness, the watcher on the walls.
    I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the nights watch and all the nights to come."
    - the oath of the Night's Watch from "A Song of Ice and Fire" by George R. R. Martin

my homepage

The title of the book is "Gas Burners for forges, furnaces and kilns" Author is Michael Porter. Publisher is SkipJack Press.
    I don't know if the book is any good. I did read a article by Michael Porter on Gas burners. That was in the Fabricator and was very good.