Thread: Incandescent damascus

Incandescent damascus

Ever noticed how damascus patterns show up in the glowing blade? Is it just light reflection or are the different steels emitting different wavelegth photons?
    Photo of a sword (okay, a piece of metal that will be a sword about a minute after this shot was taken, when it gets quenched!) that captures this effect - pretty cool, no?
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jlp3/.../swordheat.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure, but it could be some of both. Different steels/alloys, have different properties. No different then a spectrosopic reading actually. Wavelength of reflected light measured by a machine or the human eye.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

Same thing in Mokume Gane

I see this effect in Non Ferrous Mokume Gane. Up around 1500F the patterns suddenly appear and are clearly seen. I have always wondered if this was do to the emisions or perhaps the oxide that forms has this effect?
    Patrick Hastings
    "A man without patience lives in hell"
    "He o hitte
    shiri Tsubome"

Re: Same thing in Mokume Gane

Originally posted by Patrick Hastings
    I see this effect in Non Ferrous Mokume Gane. Up around 1500F the patterns suddenly appear and are clearly seen. I have always wondered if this was do to the emisions or perhaps the oxide that forms has this effect?
    You can really get a contrast when you add your own blood in the mix, and use live magma as your heat source.

Don't lock the thread Kevin! Just a little levity. Jerry
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dang Jerry I lost that *ages* ago; Hey, I'm going to have 9 associates of mine ride over and pick it up for me, OK?

Sauron

But seriously..

Jeff;

Is that your piece? If it is, tell us about it. What steel(s) did you use for the edges and the fuller area?

I've also noticed that you can see fine details of mono steel when its nice and glowing. As long as its in the right atmosphere, (no scale), you can pick out grains and small inclusions, if any. Sort of like shining a flashlight through an egg.

Yes, I finally quit slacking off and forged another sword. It is 4 bars of 1018/1095 in about 13 layers each down the middle, 1070 around the outside.
    No blood, and my magma furnace was not working so I used propane instead.
    Since they are all simple steels, the colors of emitted light aren't due to chrome or other exotic elements...I'm thinking it must be a comination of different intensity and different surface texture, but not a different wavelength.

Nice work

Sort of reminds me of Thomas Edison's lengthy experiments to find the ideal filament for the light bulb. Different materials, different intensities.

This also brings up a question I have; I have heard that glowing metal gives off UV rays. I'm not a pro, and don’t spend days and days at a time on the forge, but has anyone got a "sun burn" from the forge? I know you can get quite a burn from arc welding, but were talking a higher, more concentrated heat. Just curious. Jerry

Buy the way Jeff; Looks like you do some nice work! Please share some more pics. Good photography too.

I've heard you can get a slight sunburn, but not like arc welding. If you forge weld alot you might want some #3 green glasses, for regular forging it shouldn't be any more harmful then being in sunlight.

I got one about a year and a half ago while I was trying to melt some steel.

I got a sunburn at night!!!!!!!

Mostly on my nose and around my eyelids, it wasnt very bad though.

And it was way hotter than normal. LIke 3k+.

At night, with the lights off it lit up the whole shop!

We called it oven tan.Tinted glasses would be a good idea.

I have to slather my face with lotion when Im at the forge anyway. I have a baby face, and hereditary eczema, that inevitably shows up on my face if it gets dried out or burned.

Robert C. check your pm. Jerry

Jeff,
    I just have to comment on the beauty of that photo. It might just be the most beautiful bladesmithing related photo I've ever seen.

By the way, is that the same sword you posted in the historical inspiration forum on knifenetwork? Beautiful work, that sword...

It is an awesome photo, but since I was on the end of the blade during the shot, the credit for it rests with my friend Jim Austin, an awesome architectural smith. While I was doing the back-and-forth through the forge, he carefully placed and timed the shot for that half second pause at the turnaround point.
    It really captures much of the magic of bladesmithing.
    I was planning on doing some nice photos of the blade once it was done, but had little time between finishing and mailing it, so just took some snapshots. Hopefully I can document it later (I say that about every piece!)
    It is the sword I posted on the knife forum, hmmm maybe I should post some knife pictures here on the sword forum? What was I thinking?!
    Definitely the most Viking thing I’ve accomplished yet.
    If you didn’t see it there, you can see it here:
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jlp3/...rd%202side.jpg
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jlp3/...word5small.jpg
    Thanks!