Thread: Wally Hayes

Question Wally Hayes

Dear group,

I have a question regarding a bladesmith by the name of Wally Hayes. Has anyone handled or owned any of his katanas in particular??

I visited his site and the blades he had up seemed kind of sloppy. No offense to Mr. Hayes. It could've been the photos.

He also emphasizes this "tactical" quality his blades have, which leads me to belive is he steps out of the circle of tradition a bit.

I don't know, but his blades seem kinda "Americanized" or "Contemporary". He also has a video up for sale on a complete guide to making a katana on www.paladin-press.com too. Has anybody viewed this video by chance??

I could be *completely* wrong on his quality, but based off of what I saw, that is my humble opinion. This thread is not meant to bash Mr. Hayes, but I'm just curious on his quality and his methods.

Thanks for your help.

God bless,
    J.Smith
    Joshua R. Smith

- "God helps those who help themselves."

- "Faith in privacy, is faith in peril".

- Pope Benedict XVI-
    Long live our Holy Father.

-The safest place for me to be is in the center of God's will, and if that is in the line of fire, that's where I'll be.
    - U.S. Army Chaplain Father Tim Vakoc

-One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness.
    -Imagawa Sadayo

Hi J,
    Wally's stuff is pretty well respected across the board,imho,
    Some of his styles may not grab the traditional collecters but thats not what those lines are aimed at,
    There are some more traditional kats on his site,along with a collaboration piece with Jose De Braga,dark magic,
    Details on that are still on Sfi,on the online magazine section,
    For the record i dont/havent owned any of Wally's stuff,
    But i did alot of reading here and there and i was left with the overall impression he's a good maker and a decent chap to boot,
    imho definately worthy of consideration in the custom market,
    I'd love to own some of his work,

The video is aimed at the novice illustrating that msot anyone can build a sword. The techniques and tools are basic and sound. The finished sword is not fully traditional but gives good insight into what happens for a traditional blade, like the clay application and hardening process. He uses a very non-traditional, more tactical style handle on the finished blade that is very functional. Again, this is the video. The work Wally does himself can run the gamut of technique and style.

Dan

i handled one of his tactical kats at the tulsa gunshow a few years back. it was amazingly balanced, and the blade itself looked pretty traditional until you reach the "habaki", at which point it becomes pretty americanized. i've never seen one of his more traditional pieces, but i assume they're pretty sweet. i seem to recall him making the tackat out of a- 2 at one time, but i may be mistaken. his blades are said to cut pretty darn well, though.
    les yeich (pronounced yike)

helden wie wir sterben doch allein,
    einsam unerreicht werden wir sein.
    - the "great" jasmin wagner

Walley Hayes

Talk to him at a show, look at his work, and see where he comes from in respect to Swords. He also makes himself available by phone. He goes beyond being a Master Smith he is another find that will not test his blades on your wallet.

Floyd O`Leary

This is my opinion, and I speak for no others !

Thanks guys! I was hoping to hear that!

I personally hardly ever tread out of the borders of traditon concerning Japanese swords (very rarely sometimes), but I certainly don't look down on people that do.

I'll look in to that video. I'm not expecting much from it. All I really want is a *visual* example of all the crap I've read in my books!

Thanks again guys!

God bless,
    J.Smith
    Joshua R. Smith

- "God helps those who help themselves."

- "Faith in privacy, is faith in peril".

- Pope Benedict XVI-
    Long live our Holy Father.

-The safest place for me to be is in the center of God's will, and if that is in the line of fire, that's where I'll be.
    - U.S. Army Chaplain Father Tim Vakoc

-One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness.
    -Imagawa Sadayo

Thumbs up Wally Hayes

I bought one of Hayes' pattern welded tantos back in the very early 1990s as a gift for my wife (now my ex - sure wish I had that blade back 'cause I know she doesn't look after it properly). It was a really nice blade hilted in water buffalo. I can't speak to it's sturdyness as it has only ever been displayed, never used, but it sure looks good.

I have also seen a lot of his work in various knife magazines over the years. I think he does really good work at a reasonable cost. Not necessarily strictly traditional, but always well executed.