Thread: Very Viking blade:

Very Viking blade:

This one got me thinking about how long a knife needs to be before it becomes a sword – it’s a seax, with 20” blade. Not a knife, not a sword – if it were 24” of blade, I’d think it were a Langsax, or sword. Is that the cutoff, 24 inches?

1095/1010, two bar twist up the back, ~500 layers for the rest. Ash grip, Iron hilt with silver & copper inlay.
    Last edited by jeff Pringle; 07-11-2005 at 08:02 AM.

Its been argued and fought over for sure. Personaly, I have come to believe its more in the useage then the length. But, 18" is swordish 24" is sword. IMHO

Nice looking piece BTW.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

That is a pretty blade for sure. The Japanese divide wakizashi from Katana at right around 24". Tanto is 12" or less. I'd call that Viking blade a short sword, myself. Depends if you're slicing the cheese (knife) or slicing the cheesemaker (sword), I'd say.

I go with what ever state i am living in defines them as, NC it is 24" wich meens I can carry a sword but not an 23" knife in public

Ceremoniously of course

Very nice. I think the seax is my favorite blade design. Keep up the good work.
    Adlai
    Macabee Knives
    There are no mistakes in bladesmithing only design modifications.
    http://www.macabeeknives.com

Nice! How about some closeups of the blade?

I love seaxes...to the point of being a seax-addict !
    Don Halter
    KragAxe Armoury
    Bryan, TX

Originally posted by Don Halter
    Nice! How about some closeups of the blade?

I love seaxes...to the point of being a seax-addict !
    Shouldnt that be a "Seax Fiend"?
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

Thanks for the compliments on the blade!
    It never occurred to me to look at the law books for a definition of ‘sword’, but that’s certainly the definition that would count most in today’s society.

I haven’t taken a specific blade photo yet, but here are the photos available:
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jlp3/images/seax0505.jpg
    http://www.home.earthlink.net/~jlp3/images/seax0506.jpg

It’s definitely the strangest etch, with that volunteer Hamon jumping right out of the blade – I swear it should have disappeared, or at least become less obvious, based on my previous experience.
    I’m going to take some more photos after I finish initial test cutting, gotta get some wear on the knife so it looks good!

Jeff

Thumbs up

Thanks for the closeup of the hilt- that detail work is magnificent!