Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Cult of the Small-Sword

David,

Sounds like an interesting and fun read--please let us know what you find out if you will.
    Tom Donoho

Did any of our esteemed cult members get this reasonably priced elegant yet simple colichmarde?? I would have, but I was already committed to another sword. Come on, out with it!!
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

This sword has been purchased, I'm sure that if anyone had acquired it who happened to be on the SScult we would have heard about it by now and all bent the knee. I wanted to post it because it happens to be everything that I myself, would want in a small sword. 1740's colichmarde. Nice large military guard. Super-fine
    By the way, T. Donahue, p.m me if you would. You gave me some info earllier this year and I seem to have lost it. I'd like to ask for it again.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by morgan butler; 11-17-2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Hey guys, picked this up at an auction by accident the other day.

It was advertised as a continental officer sword. Could it be an officer's off-duty smallsword?

Pictures !

Is that boatshell guard on the right side up??
    It looks late 18th century. Nice pommel.
    Could yu post some pics of the other side of the guard?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Hi Morgan, I will post some more pictures tomorrow, these were shot in haste and in poor light. And yes it is a boatshell, well done! Thanks for the reply!

Quote Originally Posted by william.m View Post
    Hi Morgan, I will post some more pictures tomorrow, these were shot in haste and in poor light. And yes it is a boatshell, well done! Thanks for the reply!
    The boat shells I have had, had the points of the guard pointing toward the pommel, not toward the blade. Interesting. I used to have a 1796 HC dress sword with a boatshell guard.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Okay here are some pictures of the guard. Sorry they are a bit large!

[QUOTE=william.m;1095850]Okay here are some pictures of the guard. Sorry they are a bit large!

I prefer large pics, it makes scrutinizing much easier.

I really do think some one put that guard on upside down, William. Someone who didnt know which way a guard was supposed to gon on must have taken it apart and put it together again. Anyone have advise on whether it should or can be taken apart and reassembled?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

I disagree. I think this sword was meant to be worn rather than used. When worn in the scabbard the most decorative side of the guard remains visible.

Quote Originally Posted by J.G. Hopkins View Post
    I disagree. I think this sword was meant to be worn rather than used. When worn in the scabbard the most decorative side of the guard remains visible.

So is the concave side of the guard positioned facing the pommel on courtswords in your experience? I'm sort of going by the boatshells I have had before. I wondered about the more decorated side as well. Does anyone have pics of similar courtswords?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Hi Morgan,

On most of the court swords I have owned, the guards have tended to have a concave face towards the blade and not the handle.

Look at the third one down. This is one of my English court swords. However it is very easy for me to dissassemble the sword as it is a simple hex-nut assembley. I found that the guard could easily be placed upside down as it looked OK eitherway.

The Shell-like "rear quillion" usually has the fluting facing toward the blade as well, but Jonathan has a point, If it is a courtsword and is never expected to be drawn, than I guess the hilt might be designed for maximum exposure while in the scabbard. It just seems more "correct" to me the other way. But pray, tell me more about the sword that is 4th from the left It seems like I may have asked about it before.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

The sword 4th from the left is an English smallsword that may have been owned by somebody in the military. I say this as the guard has numerous military motifs, such as cannons and dead heads!

I think I had a thread on sfi a while ago, either that or I posted on this thread but it will be wayyyy back. I will have a look for it tomorrow.

Does anybody have an idea of where my lastest sword is from? A friend of mine suggested it was German.

This is a typical boat-shell-guard (also known as lyre-shaped-guard)--the later ones have the shell with a larger portion on the outboard side likes yours does--the earlier ones tend to have the shell equal to both sides. They come with helmet and urn-shaped pommels as well as forms like yours. Some are mounted with cut-and-thrust blades or hollow-ground blades and would be serviceable enough--usually affixed to hilts with minimal relief decoration like yours--or they come with diamond-shaped blades that would be probably for dress only. They were popular with the French--and Restauration hilts can be quite busy with decoration and gilt or silver plate. The grips can be ebony, ivory or wire-wrapped ones, some of the wire-wrapped ones very well done similar to the small-sword of the Louis XVI period.
    Last edited by T. Donoho; 11-19-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    Tom Donoho

Hmm, interesting! I did not think it was particually French in design but its good to know something more about the sword.
    I took some photos as there was actually some decent weather for a change!

New Smallsword

Just heard from the auction house that I've been succesful with a bid on a Boulton smallsword, similar to my other one. Will be picking it up tomorrow.
    I hope it's OK, looks alright from the pic.

Blade 33.5" Hammer price of 140GBP which I'm quite pleased with.

David

Congratulations, David!

Please do post photos so we can see.

I just got a nice cut steel mourning hilted smallsword with slender grip and elongated urn pommel--low price. I am loving it. Elegant, yet functional (minimal use of "cut steel studs" to shell only--and they are square rather than round or oval.)
    Tom Donoho

thats a great sword David. I have a similar one, though not as nice as yours. Lovely grip on it!

Thomas, why dont you post a pic of your cut-steel hilted sword?
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Hmm. Here are the photos of cut steel mourning hilt, c. 1780-1800. (If I loaded the photos correctly, that is.) Would you say it's an English sword, gents?

Name:  SS1.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  32.4 KB

Name:  SS2.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  50.0 KB

Name:  SS3.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  58.1 KB

Name:  SS4.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  SS5.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  28.4 KB
    Last edited by T. Donoho; 04-21-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: To ask a question.
    Tom Donoho

Small-swords for everyone!

(But not to be worn at the bar or pub! )
    Tom Donoho

Am I mistaken or is that blade mounted for a left hander? The hollow is usally mounted so that it is face down if held right-handed.
    Peace, Love, SWORDS!

Morgan,

It's mounted with a flatened hexagonal shaped blade, not hollow ground type.
    Tom Donoho

Quote Originally Posted by David Critchley View Post
    Just heard from the auction house that I've been succesful with a bid on a Boulton smallsword, similar to my other one. Will be picking it up tomorrow.
    I hope it's OK, looks alright from the pic.

Blade 33.5" Hammer price of 140GBP which I'm quite pleased with.

David
    Few more pics,

The one with the wider blade is the new one

Hey not bad!

Nice combination of a robust blade with a delicate guard and fittings.

Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast