Thread: Old Swords that look like new

Exclamation Old Swords that look like new

I was tired of looking at original swords so eroded that they looked almost molten. Hence this thread.

If anyone has any swords that have been remarkably preserved as to appear almost in new condition please post them here.

But let's -try- to keep it to swords before 1600, as obviously a sword from 1880 is not going to look too shabby.

This one is a start: (thanks Kirk Spencer):

Resides in the Bayerisches Nationalmuseum, Munich.

Blade Length: 91cm
    Weight: 1470 grams
    Date: c.1460
    Tooled leather grip

After more than 500 years, this sword looks really good.

(Photo mosaic constructed from images by Peter Johnsson and from Oakeshott's "Records of the Medieval Sword")

ks

Last edited by Emre Sahare; 10-03-2005 at 07:33 PM.

Well, I don't know for sure how old this one is, but a couple of the guys in the Nihonto forum (plus a sword dealer in Japan) believe that this katana could be from the late 1300's.

The one on top in this picture:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That may be cheating, since the sword was obviously polished a lot over its lifetime, and the handle wrapping was probably redone, but it is still neat to hold such an old piece of steel that shines.

That second pic of the katana is awesome, I dont ever remeber seeing a hamon that looks so white and mist like, and a body that looked so blue. I love the way that looks.
    Do not meddle in the ways of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I dont have an over active imagination, just an underactive reality.

i wonder how far you can open your mind before your brain falls out....

"But why is the rum gone?!?!"

Most of the credit for an antique kat blade looking new goes to the polisher, whose skills can compensate for centuries of minor surface wear and corrosion. In many cases, the blade must be reshaped in order to create a proper profile...

That sword tugs at my heart strings. I love seeing swords of that age in that kind of condition.
    Is it the man or the hands that makes the art?

Take your pic:

http://www.myarmoury.com/albums/index.php?cat=5

Some of the swords pictured are in worse condition than others, but many are in fantastic condition and pre-1600s.
    Virginia Academy of Fencing Historical Swordsmanship
    --German Longsword & Italian Rapier in the DC Area--

"A despondent heart will always be defeated regardless of all skill."

Here is a Danish bronze sword from Kyllingeeng that is well over three thousand years old. I believe that this sword, or its twin, was the inspiration for Achilles sword in the movie "Troy".

ks
    Two swords
    Lit in Eden’s flame
    One of iron and one of ink
    To place within a bloody hand
    One of God or one of man
    Our souls to one of
    Two eternities

Here is its twin from Aamosen Denmark

ks
    Two swords
    Lit in Eden’s flame
    One of God or one of man
    Our souls to one of
    Two eternities

That's the beauty of bronze... its resistance to corrosion... even with heavy oxidation and long-term exposure to the elements, it will still hold-up far better than iron or steel (non-stainless)...

One more from Valsomagel Denmark... Again over 3000 years old.

Images mosaics compiled from:

http://www.guderoggrave.dk/

Click on "Genstande"
    Then click on "Vaben"
    Then Click on "Svaerd"
    Click on any grouping under Svaerd heading
    Click on red "SOG" at bottom

Click on image to see larger version
    Click on "flere billeder" to see detailed images.

ks
    Two swords
    Lit in Eden’s flame
    One of God or one of man
    Our souls to one of
    Two eternities

Thumbs up

Ya gotta love that green aged bronze...

Wow, those swords are amazing. I have no idea what stage of civilization western europe was at 3000 years ago. I have a good idea about greece, but I didnt think denmark would have this kind of sword... Anybody care to enlighten me?

Originally posted by william.m
    ...I have no idea what stage of civilization western europe was at 3000 years ago. I have a good idea about greece, but I didnt think denmark would have this kind of sword... Anybody care to enlighten me?
    Hi William...

I'll try to shed a little light... though my memory is a little dim.

The Nordic Bronze Age that flourished on the western shores of the Baltic gets very little press but it is a facination and very old culture (beginning about 1700 B.C. to roughly 600 B.C.) Archeologist believe at this time the climate was warmer. The amber trade flourished which provided capital and trade connections with the Mycaneans, Villanovians in Italy, possibly even the Phoenicians and Egyptians. This made for a very rich and varied mix of influences reflected in the amazing artistry of their material culture. The Culture declined as the climate grew colder and wetter. As many of these tribes moved southward they formed the core of proto-germanic culture and eventually many of the Germanic tribes.

I have posted a picture of a Nordic Simitar from the 17th century B.C. found at Bakkehuset Denmark with a ship engraved on the blade. Evidently the amber trade moved by ship as well as overland. It is interesting that this shape of bronze age simitar is somewhat similar to bronze single edged swords found in the Near East and Egypt.

Image masaic compiled from "THE NORDIC SCIMITAR: External relations and the creation of elite ideology" by Orjan Engedal"

ks
    Two swords
    Lit in Eden’s flame
    One of God or one of man
    Our souls to one of
    Two eternities

More examples of very well preserved bronze swords

Two swords from Denmark, probably around 1300-1400BC. The top one is in almost new conditions, the lower one has a bit of corrosion around the edges, and a bit of play in the hilt components. These are also two of the biggest examples of Danish bronze swords I've seen, somewhere in the order of 90cm in length.

And here's one found in my own country. It's not made locally, but traveled all the way from eastern Europe, before it was deposited (probably in a bog or river), in the Netherlands. Aside from some patches of brown patina, it's in virtually mint condition and probably still sharp.

And a close up of the hilt:

Last edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk; 10-06-2005 at 01:05 AM.