Thread: Pattern welded lang seax

Pattern welded lang seax

Hey all. I got a couple of pictures of a patternwelded lang seax from a the smith Robert Norwalt of Hammer Forge and File. I think they're awesome so I wanted to share. Anyway, he's also doing a Viking blade for me right now as well. I'll post some in progress pics of that as well as I get them. The seax isn't mine (I wish though). It belongs to one of his other customers. But enough blather from me. Check it out and enjoy!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    We know the world is going to end when we start hearing the elevator muzak version of AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" in the supermarket. Yikes.

pattern up close

The bronze in the blade is a trick of the light. He's still finishing it as well. I don't know if I have any pics off hand of the stag hilted one shown below. I'd have to check. But here's a picture of the pattern up close. It kinda reminds me of cooling lava.
    We know the world is going to end when we start hearing the elevator muzak version of AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" in the supermarket. Yikes.

aaaaand....

And here's a picture of the file work on the spine. I think it's a really nice feature. In fact, one of my favorites on knives.

Very impressive I would really like to see some pictures when it is finished. Here is my all time favorite:

But... I've got one in the hopper too and it may just become my new all time favorite...
    Tritonworks Custom Scabbards
    www.tritonworks.com

In terms of actual blades, I was quite impressed with Scott Byler's longseax, made for Aaron Justice recently... I wonder if Vince Evans has a longseax in his archives...

You're in luck, Mr. Ellis. Mr. Norwalt told me he would send me pictures of the finished seax so I'll definitely post them here. So who did the one you showed? Ofcourse correct me if I'm wrong, but it screams of Mr. Powning's work. But, I agree, they're pretty impressive. So was one sword he made for me. Unfortunately it got destroyed in shipping. An 800lb gorilla in an ill-fitting brown uniform got to it. So the one in the fire right now is a replacement. But better since it will be of traditional 9 bar construction (but with modern steel) and a herring bone pattern rather than the original which had a random pattern. I'd also like to see the one you're waiting on as well. I've been infected by the Norse blade bug. LOL

Mr. Ty,

I think Mr. Evans does and I believe I've seen it on myarmoury. I can't remember the exact thread though so I can't help there.

Originally posted by Ty N.
    ... I wonder if Vince Evans has a longseax in his archives...
    Hi Ty...

Here is a set of pictures taken by Thomas MacDonald of a beautiful Langseax by Vince Evans making its debut at this years show in Las Vegas

You can find many more pictures of the antique and custom swords at the Vegas show here:

http://www.myarmoury.com/talk/viewto...vegas&start=60

ks
    Two swords
    Lit in Eden’s flame
    One of iron and one of ink
    To place within a bloody hand
    One of God or one of man
    Our souls to one of
    Two eternities

Re: Vince Evans longseax

That's some awesome pattern-welding... ...the hilt is superb... thanks for the pics...

Originally posted by Andrew Babbini
    You're in luck, Mr. Ellis. Mr. Norwalt told me he would send me pictures of the finished seax so I'll definitely post them here. So who did the one you showed? Ofcourse correct me if I'm wrong, but it screams of Mr. Powning's work. But, I agree, they're pretty impressive. So was one sword he made for me. Unfortunately it got destroyed in shipping. An 800lb gorilla in an ill-fitting brown uniform got to it. So the one in the fire right now is a replacement. But better since it will be of traditional 9 bar construction (but with modern steel) and a herring bone pattern rather than the original which had a random pattern. I'd also like to see the one you're waiting on as well. I've been infected by the Norse blade bug. LOL

Mr. Ty,

I think Mr. Evans does and I believe I've seen it on myarmoury. I can't remember the exact thread though so I can't help there.
    Outstanding can't wait to see them. Yes, you are correct the posted picture is Jacob Powning's work. Are you saying that you ordered a Jacob Powning sword that was destroyed? I'd like to see the one I'm waiting on as well but I'm also having a matching sword made to go with the longseax so it's likely to be a while... My period of main interest is still the high middle ages but I wanted to have at least a couple of really nice dark age examples and it looks as though Jesse Frank is going to make that happen.
    www.tritonworks.com

Oh no no no, I ordered one from Mr. Norwalt almost a year ago and that one got destroyed in shipping. I was vexed. The blade was bent up real bad and the guard was off kilter. It was uuuugly. However, it was insured so he made good on it and started a new one for me. His business practices and communications about this project has been very commendable.

Mr Frank seems to do some really nice work. He got good prices too. One day I hope to have the holy grail of pattern welded stuff: Kevin Cashen's work. Ever Notice that his name is like Antonio Banderas' name? You just can't say either of his names just alone. LOL

Yeah I'm hoping to sort of get in on the ground floor with Jesse Frank. If he has as much talent as I think he does I expect that his price and his wait list will both only grow over time. I thought the same thing with Jacob Powning, unfortunately I was right (for me that is I'm very happy that for him that he has been successful). Even more unfortunately I manage to sell the sword I owned by him... and getting another is going to be difficult indeed.
    www.tritonworks.com