Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Hello all, I am thinking about this short jian on if it is fake or not. As with a blade length of 19" its too short to be a sword, and too long to be a dagger.

Here are some pictures I took from the ebay auction.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Second picture.

hmm..
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For dual sword practise, i believe the preferred combinations were with either two relatively short swords or one long and a very short.
    Bye, bye baby
    Don't be long
    I worry about you
    While you are gone
    - Ivy

Thanks for the reply, does anybody else have something to say about this one?

Cheers,
    will

I am very much an amateur in this, but it looks real, but perhaps not with a high quality blade. I have seen posts by Scott mentioning swords like this one with tortoise shell scabbards, and as I recall, he mentioned that many were made as "bazaar" pieces meant for tourists not fighting. The quality of the blade would tell you the difference, and I can't judge that from the pictures. The ones I have seen on eBay have been overpriced, which should not be considered a comment on this particular one.

As for the short blade, duan jian like these seem to be quite common, and were probably used more on a day to day basis than chang jian.
    Josh

I see, well I think I will try and not spend more than £30 on the blade. As its still history after all.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

William

Watch the shipping cost. Some of those auctions look great until you see what they are charging for shipping. And of course shipping is not refundable.
    Representative of East Wind Knife and Sword Co.

I think it may be no more than ten years old.
    I have seen a fake like this on an open market.

profit

Alot of swords from auction {and "antiqued" furniture} though not necessarilly bad quality are sold cheap as the seller makes profit on the shipping not the product. Be careful, it may be okay for forms or display yet not stand up to test cutting.
    "The one who feels closest to mastery is closest to having knowledge in decline"

...Masakatsu Agatsu...

Hello all, thanks for the warnings about postage costs, but this was being sold from the UK, which is why I was not sure if it was a fake or not.

In the end I decided that it was a decent repro that may be 30 years old or so. Or a poor quality antique so I decided not to bid higher than £30.

Just because I am curious, how did the auction go?
    Josh

Originally posted by josh stout
    Just because I am curious, how did the auction go?
    Josh

I think it went for £54

I have seen quite a lot of these for sale on ebay recently. Here is another, which looks exactly like all the others that have been sold so far.

Yeah, I guess Athena is correct. That is a new reproduction.
    Josh

Very Late Jian

I've seen 'tons' of thess at gun show around the US, as has Philip. They are generally described as "Bazar" pieces, in that they were apparenently made as wall hangers & are too short in blade & grip to serviceable in combat. Some however do have descent blades & if you have a good old long blade in need of fittings, the fittngs off these can be recycled for use on a practice sword, though I should point out that they are small in comparison to earlier fittings on proper combat jian.
    Scott M. Rodell
    I train at: www.grtc.org
    I work at: www.sevenstarstrading.com

So are we looking at a vintage bazaar piece, or a reproduction of a bazaar piece, which would seem a bit strange? Why not copy something better. The one with item#7385139652 looks like a well-done reproduction, because it is so clean and new looking, but the dealer is one whose stuff I had thought was genuine. When faced with a conflict between my perception and the reputation of a dealer, I usually go with reputation, given that I am so often wrong. However, I have seen bad dealers sell good swords, so it probably goes the other way too. I do notice that it is called a "temple sword" which implies a lack of combat worthiness.
    Josh

Josh