Thread: Cutlass lovers

Cutlass lovers

For any of you guys who have seen the Dutch Cutlass reviewed in MyArmoury.com and have wanted one, I contacted Museum Replicas Limited about it. They discontinued it but said if they get enough e mails requesting it, they will make them again. So if you ever wanted one (they look mighty fine) e mail 'em , I did. Regards: Dan

Thanks Dan,

I've just e-mailed MRL to add my 2 cents and ask that they consider reproducing the Dutch Cutlass.

It's such a barren desert out there right now for cutlass and hangers. I hope they'll seriously consider bringing it back.

I just took a look at that cutlass and it's a beauty! I will definitley send an e-mail... hopefully we can all get our hands on one!

Cheers!
    Magister Mundi sum!

Eddie Floyd of Swordplay Alliance designed many of the swords for MRL. He takes custom orders and offers very reasonable prices. I would bet he could make the Dutch cutlass if you didn't want to wait for MRL to reintroduce it. Plus his quality is much higher than Windlass. He made a beautiful version of the old MRL/Del Tin pirate cutlass for my wife. She wanted a longer, more slender curved blade than the MRL version and Eddie was happy to ablige.
    Jay
    Constant And True

Thanks Jay, the info is appreciated. I have contacted them and will post the results of their reply here for anyone who is interested. Dan

As long as the topic is Windlass cutlass', anyone check out the new Scotish cutlass, very pretty !
    I am the voice of Reason, but I'd rather have his eyes.

Licensed "Hunter" references supplied upon request: Mystical Cursed or Engineered, We do them all! Reasonable Rates, Please Inquire

As long as the topic is Windlass cutlass', anyone check out the new Scotish cutlass, very pretty !
    Hi Peter, I was wondering about the basket on that particular sword.

My impression from the look of the basket in the catalog was that it might be a bit prone to bend and flex. I say that because the sheet steel which the basket was formed from appears thin.

Hopefully, someone who owns one can chime in and set the record straight.

I just got a quote from Swordplay Alliance. All of the cutlass parts would have to be hand made. The cost of the cutlass with scabbard would be $995.00, and would take a minimum of 6 months. I can't afford that and so I'll have to hope that most of the people who read this thread also E mail MRL & keep requesting that Dutch Cutlass.

Guess his prices have climed a bit since I had my wife's cutlass made. Still, it makes sense when you consider the prices of other custom smiths. Still, that's a lot of money.
    Jay
    Constant And True

MR Dutch Cutlass is due back in Spring 2007

Last week I e-mailed Museum Replicas, as per a suggestion by Dan Bexell in this forum, about re-releasing their Dutch Cutlass. A couple of days later I received a very nice response from Dave Di Pietro, Director of Sales & Marketing for Atlanta Cutlery Corp - Museum Replicas.

Mr. Di Pietro stated that due to the large number of recent requests, the Dutch Cutlass will again be available in the Museum Replicas Spring 2007 Catalog.

Futhermore, he stated, "It is because of letters like yours and others, that
    we are able to produce pieces that our customers would like to own. Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you have any other pieces for possible future projects."

So everyone's e-mail requests have apparently paid off!

Perhaps the SFI readership can help to get some other interesting or under represented swords produced in the coming years...

How cool is that, huh?

Great news J.C.! Thanks for sharing that info!