Thread: Seax pics

Seax pics

Hey all. A buddy of mine, Mr Norwalt, had sent me some pics of some PW seax he had recently finished up and I wanted to share them with you all. In one or two of them there's a spiffy pic of a Gjermundbu helm with 'em. Figured you Viking enthusiasts would dig 'em.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    We know the world is going to end when we start hearing the elevator muzak version of AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" in the supermarket. Yikes.

aaand another

Another one where you can see the patterning
    We know the world is going to end when we start hearing the elevator muzak version of AC/DC's song "Highway to Hell" in the supermarket. Yikes.

last one

Here's the last one I got. It's a big ole chopper.

Very nice, do you happen to know any details about it?
    ?

Skyler,

Well, as to how long they are and other stats, I'm not too sure. I'll have to ask him. The one with the Gjermundbu helm was one I was particularly impressed with. I got a thing for a good langseax.

About the blades

Thanks Andrew.

The saex above is a bitter sweet victory. She was made from 50 layers of 15n20, L6, 1095, 1050. One stacked billet.Interupted twisted, and drawn on a modern hammer. I really loved the look and feel of this one, but alas, a few weeks after I took this photo I noticed a line of rust forming about half way down. I tried to grind down, -just a tad to find the bottom of what I thought was a simple inclusion, repolish, reetch,... and -ugh, it turned out to be a cold shunt. Which I must be thankful for, for it was right in one of the twists, so rust or not, under the right pressure it would have failed. It had been abouit 22" blade, 1/4 at the spine, 1 1/4 wide, with a Curly maple handle and copper caps. So I made it into two other knives. A table boning knife from the Macejowski Bible, and a ( shreek ) modern dinner steak knife. But she at least "looked" cool for a short time. Who am I kidding? It broke my heart to loose this one. Failures and shortcomings are inevitable, but boy does that feeling suck!

The next seax/bowie hybrid is Thunderforge "tm", "damascus" of the Choprah family in Atlanta. I believe they claim 277 layers on this billet. It's a full 2" wide, but only 9 inch blade, with partial tang. The handle, and gaurd, ( which you can't see in this picture ) is India sanbar stag, with pictish knot inlay, and a lion's face guard. It's a nice piece, but personally, doing it over again, I'd leave the modern/fantasy elements out, and go strictly period.

And the bottom one is a far more period seax. 13" blade, with stag handle, and brass butt-cap. It flares up towards the tip, and is straight lame piled pattern weld, like many of the earlier ones were. I made it out of 15n20 & 1084. I was going to keep it for myself but a Gentlemen in California is making selling it worth my while.

Presently I'm working on a sword for Andy, remaking wounded sword for a LOTR Sting wannabe. A spatha. Some Mac Bible repro's. More saexes. And modern stuff that needs not mention here. Okay. I hope you all can give me some good advice. Lord knows I need it.

Don't Tread on Me!