Thread: "Tactical" tanto designs

"Tactical" tanto designs

I've been looking at the Bugei/CRKT Hissatsu and the Paul Chen Tactical Tanto, but there doesn't seem to be much documentation on either of them.

I'll probably just be cutting up bottles and general abuse ( ).

So any opinions on either of these knives are appreciated.

Moderators, sorry if this is the wrong place, but I didn't know where else to post.

I've got the tactical tanto and love it. It's a hell of a knife for the price. I especially appreciate the balance, real hamon, true tanto blade shape, real same wrap, and takedown design. The whole piece is really heavy duty and feels like something in a higher price range. The metal sheath works well although I have never tried to wear it so I can't comment on the carrying abilities of the clip. It has held an edge very well during some light to medium cutting. I'd say the claim of high 50's- 60 RC is honest. As you can tell, I think this is a great knife.
    Jay
    Constant And True

Yeah, I thought of all those plusses too, with the real hamon and ray skin.

Any thoughts on the hissatsu?

Originally posted by Ethan P.
    Yeah, I thought of all those plusses too, with the real hamon and ray skin.

Any thoughts on the hissatsu?
    Well, I don't own a hissatsu but I have examined one. It's a really great design for what it is intended. My big beef with it is the steel used. AUS6 is a rather soft steel for a hard use knife. It dulls very quickly. On the other hand it sharpens up just as fast. A few strops will put a good edge back on it. I'm also not a fan of the plastic handle (though it has a very positive grip) The hissatsu is really a one purpose knife; fighting. Therefore (it is argued) a harder steel is not important. The Tactical tanto IMO is a much more versitile knife. It can be used for general use and holds an edge extremely well. It's quite a bit haevier than the hissatsu and is maybe not as well designed for fighting. The hissatsu looks meaner too! If you wanted a knife strictly for self defense I'd say a hissatsu is the better choice.
    Jay
    Constant And True

Alright, thank you.

I was just wondering because there doesn't seem to be much info on either of them.

If I do get one of them, it'll be a tactical tanto.

It seems the Hissatsu is now made with 440A steel which is a bit harder than AUS 6. I still think the Tactical tanto is made with better steel but it is worth mentioning.
    Jay
    Constant And True