Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rollcall Time

Rollcall Time

Well its been 2 years since the last call, so I figure its about time that we have another go round. And besides I missed the first two

Mathesn of Matheson

Gaelic - MacMathan

I am of direct male lineage which has been traced back to the beginning of the sixthteenth century. I also have MacKenzie blood in me.

Clan Badge

Modern Dress Tartan

Mclan Portrait
    "The end of our Way of the sword is to be fearless when confronting our inner enemies and our outer enemies."
    -Yamaoka Tesshu

Chunnaic mi dealradh do lainne's b'e m'uaill
    'Bhi 'g amharc do bhuaidh 's a chath.
    Lean gu dlù ri cliù do shinnsireachd
    'S na dìbir a bhi mar iadsan.

Jonah Matheson

Well now, I cant post the pretty pics, but.
    Up the Buchanan. Fraser forever. Back aways, its Pollock. Who moved to Ireland to quell the Irish and take land. Those left behind became a sept of MAxwell. One of the biggest, baddest rideing families in the borders.
    So, Up the MAxwell.
    "Do not suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberty by any pretences of politeness, delicacy or decency.
    These, as they are often used, are but three names for hypocrisy, chicanery, and cowardice.” John Adams, 1789

"Everything the enemy least expects will succeed the best."

Frederick the Great 1747

Aye, ye reminded me of something, probably one of the most important things. My clan was one of the most powerful clans, However Alasdair, the chief of the times, due to his ablity to raise 2,000 men was one of the ones called to James the first's court in Inverness. And everyone knowes what befell those of whom James deamed a threat
    Last edited by Jonah B Matheson; 11-04-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    "The end of our Way of the sword is to be fearless when confronting our inner enemies and our outer enemies."
    -Yamaoka Tesshu

Jonah Matheson

Well, at the risk of getting laughed at, I'll take a chance and post for the Thorntons, who my mother swears are Scots-Irish. I don't know myself; haven't looked too closely into it like others in the very extended family have.
    Eric slides under computer desk to avoid flying rotten fruit
    If it ain't broke . . . let me have a shot at it!

A Shaw!!!!!

Clan Shaw, Clan Davidson, and perhaps a Murray or two!!!!
    "Among the other evils being unarmed brings you, it causes you to be despised" Machiavelli.

In battle, rage is as good as courage…. Welsh proverb

Shocked and stunned obvioulsy to learn that I am of the Clan Macintyre. Direct male line to going back to the mid 18th in the now abandoned settlements in Glen Noe. Earlier than that is impossible due to minor inconveniences of there being no parish records for Glen Noe in existance.

Pretty strong evidence that my direct ancestor was at Culloden. In a smart red coat. Probably shooting rebels with gay abandon.

Incidentily if there is a more unremarkable clan than the Macintyres its hard to find. You know those crappy "Clan Maps of Scotland"? We are so minor we don't even get our own colour. Just a wee name running through Macdonald or Campbell lands depending on which map it is.

The only two vaguely famous Macintyres are the poet Donal Ban and some American country singer who cannae even spell her name right.
    Full Member of The Dawn Duellists Society
    www.dawnduellists.co.uk

Instructor and Owner of Black Boar Swordsmanship School
    www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk

BFHS Certified Instructor

"Hating is easy, Loving takes true character" Hanoi Rocks

Aye there is the same evidence with one of my direct ancestoers, athough I dinnae think hes was wearing a red coat, and I would have to say that he was definately cutting the English down with gay abadon
    -Yamaoka Tesshu

Jonah Matheson

Well for those who didn't guess, Lethbridge is as English a name as one gets - though proudly I'm a healthy mix of Scot and English.

On my father's side:

The male line I can trace back to our entry in Canada at about 1825, though no further (yet!) as ships listings are incomplete and who knows how they could have come over (perhaps a stow away?). Thankfully town census from that time forward gives me a clear idea of where the family developed in Canada. I've also learned that the Lethbridge family was key in founding the Devon area of Southern England - and that's it's an old Saxon name as well - though much of this will need to be backed up and further personal research.

My Grandmother on my father's side was straight-up Scot and of the Stewart family too. I haven't worked on tracing that one back yet, though I'll be on it soon enough.

And on my Mother's side:

My Grandfather, who isn't spoken of, I've recently learned was a McDavid from Scotland who has spent time in and around New Foundland.

My Grandmother, though of direct Scottish lineage actually holds a Dual Canadian/English citizenship as she was born on the boat over, in English waters.

My Great Grandmother, whom I had the pleasure of knowing for my first few years (till 5) was a 4'10" Scottish TANK of a woman. Mean with her cane and sharp with her tongue. Great woman, truely.

So while I have more work to do, all together it's 75% Scottish and 25% English. Either way, good roots with lots of great history - most of which still to be discovered.

Also anyone with tips on researching family history can PM me - I'm always up for a good suggestion!

-John

GRANT!

Striking fear into the hearts of shinty players since the 18th century!

oh yeah...and a healthy dose of Danish/Sweede
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    A man in a kilt is a man and a half!
    Clan Grant
    Craigellachie!

My family were in Norway until the mid C19th when they started trading in Leith and finally set up there to manage their whaling/shipping business.

Of course, being nouveux riche,the first thing they did was buy a couple of castles and a smattering of townhouses to establish themselves in Society and, having no highland history, "borrowed" the Ross tartan for some unknown reason before establishing themselves as Landed Gentry, Military Officers, Legal Highflyers, and Gentleman Farmers in the C20th.

However I have a healthy number of Buchanan cousins around Inverness and St Andrews.
    "That's certainly the mark of a good duellist, your Majesty - to be living."

Eóin Ó Longaigh anseo. For those who don't know, I'm not Scottish but Irish.
    Eóin Fada Ó Donnchadha

Má dhéanann tu séitéireacht, go ndéana tú séitéireacht ar an mbás.
    Má ghoideann tú, go ngoide tú croí mná.
    Má throideann tú, go dtroide tú i leith do deartháir
    Agus má ólann tú, go n-óla tú liom féin!

General American mutt. Surname is German. The blood is mostly Welsh, then English, then German, finally some Scottish.

The Scottish connection is MacPhail, through the female line, 3 generations back. Theoretically a sept of MacKintosh, but is 'Paul's son' a Clan or a Patronymic? Don't know yet.
    Nu scylon herigean, | heofon rices weard...

Jonathan MacKenzie Gordon

I can take the MacKenzie back to 1833 currently, but I'm working on going further.

I have been told that the Gordon is Irish, but I'll be doing some digging on that soon.

Also, Lifetime Member of the Clan MacKenzie Society, USA.
    "Tulach Ard!" - Clan MacKenzie War Cry

Virginia Academy of Fencing - http://www.vafinc.com/
    Clan MacKenzie Society in the Americas - http://www.clanmackenzie.com/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Crawley View Post
    However I have a healthy number of Buchanan cousins around Inverness and St Andrews.
    and at least one clan cousin in Alaska.

Buchanan (McWhorter)
    Gillespie
    Forbes
    Sheild
    McKay

and that Irish Teague.

Cheers,

DT
    David Teague
    Scholar of the Highland Broadsword
    Free Scholar/Instructor -Selohaar Fechtschule
    The Historic Recrudescence Guild

""Yea though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou's sword art is with me; Thy poleaxe and Thy quarterstaff they comfort me."

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah B Matheson View Post
    Aye there is the same evidence with one of my direct ancestoers, athough I dinnae think hes was wearing a red coat, and I would have to say that he was definately cutting the English down with gay abadon
    Or Scots.

More Scots fought against the pretender than fought for him, and a good ammount fought at Culloden...
    "Don't give your son money...Give him horses. No one ever came to grief, except honourable grief through riding. No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle. Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die_ "

Churchill

Robertson of the clan Donnachaidh.

Families from Nairn but they all absconded to Canada in the 70's with the excpetion of my Dad who signed up to the army several years before.

Now residing in Shandy-Land where it rains less and the gene pool is wider and the curry sauce is lacking
    "Don't give your son money...Give him horses. No one ever came to grief, except honourable grief through riding. No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle. Young men have often been ruined through owning horses, or through backing them, but never through riding them: unless of course they break their necks, which, taken at a gallop, is a very good death to die_ "

Churchill

To be honest Andy, you could be right. That is one of the things I have been trying to find out. Althought I have my hopes , i can not be to sure. This is somewhat difficult to ascertain though, which I am sure most of you know.

I am aware that the 19th chief was at Culloden, but this was about 8 years before he became the chief. And I have yet to find out what the Clan's official position was., so as to my own ancestor, I am completely in the dark as of yet.
    Last edited by Jonah B Matheson; 11-07-2006 at 06:55 AM.
    -Yamaoka Tesshu

Jonah Matheson

Which clan are you talking about? (if you will excuse my ignorance)

Churchill

Lol.......Clan Matheson, the only clan I am a member of. Sorry if I was not clear.
    -Yamaoka Tesshu

Jonah Matheson

Clan Gregor, the Children of the Mist.

I am a descendant of Alexander Magruder who was shipped to Maryland in chains in 1651 after the Battle of Dunbar. He was obviously on the losing side.
    Trying to walk in the Light, Hugh
    See 1 John 1:5

Wilson, which is a Sept of Clan Gunn.

There's some speculation whether our branch of the Wilsons emigrated directly from Scotland, or were part of the Ulster Scots movement, those Protestant Scots who were given lands in Northern Ireland due to their loyalty to Cromwell and the parliamentarians.
    Interestingly enough, Wilson is one of the most popular surnames throughout England, Scotland, and Ireland, but where it actually originated from seems to be a mystery. It could have multiple origins. Clan Gunn claims "Wilson" as a sept, from the Son of William, Son of George "The Crowner".

Anyway, here's my ethnic make-up run-down, if you really want to know:
    Father's side: Finnish, Scottish
    Mother's side: German, Irish, Native American

http://www.gunnclan.net/index.htm
    http://www.clangunn.us/
    Member, Clan Gunn USA
    David K. Wilson, Jr., Laird of Glencoe
    The best laid schemes o' mice an' men, gang aft agley... -- Robert Burns

See, it is I who created the blacksmith
    who fans the coals into flame
    and forges a weapon fit for its work.

-- Isaiah 54:16

I'm just beginning the process of linking our current family tree to Clan Gordon since my grandfather swore up and down that we should all be wearing Gordon kilts to family functions...

I want to see if there was any truth swimming in all that whiskey...
    The "silly question" is the first intimation of some totally new development...

Kevin Adams Fine Metal Arts on FB
    Online Gallery of a few things I've made...

Kevin Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah B Matheson View Post
    Lol.......Clan Matheson, the only clan I am a member of. Sorry if I was not clear.

D'ohh

Just did a look up - Western Isles?

They had far more sense than to get embroiled with the Jacobite uprisings out west on the whole - Tis a shame others didn't follow suite...

Churchill

Yeah your right. The Clan as a whole was totaly set on staying out of it. Which was the best idea, win win as it were. However, certain individuals did take part in it due to strong feeling. So my goal is to find out how my direct ancestor viewed, and there for had part, or not in said engagements.

And I just realized for some reason I said I did not know the Clan's offical position. Thats what college calc will do to you, sorry about that.

And by the way, the Clan's holdings have, and for almost the whole of our existence has been in Lochalsh. At one pooint the Isle of Lewis.
    -Yamaoka Tesshu

Jonah Matheson

White, Lamont or MacGregor?????? Not sure.
    Patton, Mom's side-Maclean
    Buchanan, Mom's side
    Henry, Mom's side-Lowland
    throw in a bunch of Irishmen, a Frenchman, a Saxon or two, a German and a Swissman, plus a Cherokee.
    dave
    "Honi soit, qui mal y pense"
    (Shamed be anyone who thinks evil of it)
    24th Regiment of Foot

"La mama dei grulli è sempre pregna"
    ( the mother of morons is always pregnant).

Clan Lamont!

Just keep on truckin' baby

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast