Thread: Lehighton, PA

Lehighton, PA

Anybody out there in this part of the wilderness? Even the Poconos or the Lehigh Valley? I'm looking for somebody to practice German longsword, or kenjutsu. Actually just about any style of sparring, but those are the only two I know anything about. I don't have a lot of equipment; a couple swords (a few of which are on sale in the Classifieds section).
    Praemonitus, praemunitus.

Hi Justin,
    I am a bit west of you in Schuylkill Haven, near Pottsville. I do mainly thrown weapons - Javelin, 'rangs, slings and Celtic Shield and Spear with a little longsword as it applies to ancient stuff.

Steven

Toward the end of this year I will be re-re-locating to Abbottstown, PA. I look forward to hopefully meeting you or any other interested players.

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    Hey Josh, I am in lower New York, am a blacksmith and beginning knife/sword maker, and am looking for someone to spar with, and to learn from.
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Hi, Sam! Personally, I'm in no position to teach. (Don't know whether to put a smilie or a frownie after that. ) I think there are now three people within an hour of each other, not including you or me. I'm thinkin' study/sparring group at least. Plus there are two WMA schools within "seminar distance". This thread has brightened my thoughts about moving considerably.

Hi Guys, I live in Port Carbon; Justin that's about a 40-45 minute drive for you, Steven I'm sure you know where that is. I've some training in European longsword and dagger and a lot in Japanese sword/spear/staff etc.

Justin I'm not sure what you mean by "sparring styles". I've seen very little sparring in kenjutsu; maybe you're refering to kendo? Anyway I'm always happy to train.

PM sent Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Gifford View Post
    Anybody out there in this part of the wilderness? Even the Poconos or the Lehigh Valley? I'm looking for somebody to practice German longsword, or kenjutsu. Actually just about any style of sparring, but those are the only two I know anything about. I don't have a lot of equipment; a couple swords (a few of which are on sale in the Classifieds section).

Look up Sensei Jeff Driscoll in Pottsville, PA. He teaches MJER Iaijutsu. His teacher is about an hour north in Wilkes Barre..Carl Long (also an SFI member). Long Sensei teaches MJER Iaijutsu as well as Shinto Muso Ryu Jodo which includes its own kenjutsu forms.

Long Sensei is at www.sakurabudokan.com

Driscoll Sensei is at www.driscollinstitute.com (phone Driscoll Sensei rather than trying to e-mail...his site is well out of date.)
    Non nobis Domine, non nobis sed Nomini Tuo da Gloriam
    "Not to us Lord, Not to us, but to Thy Name be the Glory"

Adsum, Domine: Totus ingenibus meis ad pedes tuos proponeo.
    Duce et regere servum tui, Domine, ab omnibus temptationem, ita ut honor purus et donum meum incontaminatus sit.
    "Here am I, Lord: All my talents at Thy feet I lay. Guide and guard Thy servant, Lord, from all temptation, that honor may be spotless and my gift unstained."
    - Katherine Kurtz "Healer's Song"