Thread: Central Asian swords

Central Asian swords

I'm doing a research paper for a college class on a topic of my choice about Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan) and the cultures therein. I would like to investigate the traditional weapons and warfare of one or more of the cultures from this area, and I was hoping that some of the forumites here might be able to get me started on my research path with any resources you think would help me. Thanks in advance!

If this is not the correct forum, please move it wherever it should be!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blanchard View Post
    I'm doing a research paper for a college class on a topic of my choice about Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan) and the cultures therein. I would like to investigate the traditional weapons and warfare of one or more of the cultures from this area, and I was hoping that some of the forumites here might be able to get me started on my research path with any resources you think would help me. Thanks in advance!

If this is not the correct forum, please move it wherever it should be!
    Sam,

Have you checked the book "Islamic Arms and Armor" edited by Elgood? You can find some information there. I will write more later.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Sam,

Have you checked the book "Islamic Arms and Armor" edited by Elgood? You can find some information there. I will write more later.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
    Thanks for the suggestion! I now have it on order at the library. Does anyone else have any suggestions for me?

I hate to bump my own thread like this, but any further information about Central Asian Steppe warfare and weapons would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    Last edited by Sam Blanchard; 02-22-2007 at 07:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Blanchard View Post
    I hate to bump my own thread like this, but any furhter information about Central Asian Steppe warfare and weapons would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sam

Are you interested in any specific time period?

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Sam

Are you interested in any specific time period?

Kind regards

Manouchehr
    At this point I have no real preferences on time period, as long as it is pre-firearms (by this I mean before the native populations began to sytematically replace other weapons with guns). Probably the best era for me to write about is whatever period has the most available information. I've been looking for information in peer-reviewed journals from sources like jstor.org, but I have found very little so far. The paper prompt is very general, and the only guidelines are to region (Central Asia) and make some connection to the Russian Empire, either how that people has been affected by the Russians, or how that people have affected the Russians. I have chosen the latter approach, and interpret it to also include specific discussions of the culture, because for most of their history, while their culture was being shaped, they were not under the control of Russia. This seems to be rambling a bit, and I apologize for that, but information about any time period would be great. I basically just need enough information to work with about any period, although my primary interest is medieval, and that's what I plan to do my graduate work on. Thanks!
    Last edited by Sam Blanchard; 02-22-2007 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Spelling errors, unclear statement

Hello Sam,
    My knowledge is very limited, but I can suggest some ways to start. Since you're looking at medieval Central Asia, research Tamelane (Timur-i-Leng); his Timurid Dinasty controlled the region for quite a while.

If I'm not mistaken, Steppe warfare consisted mainly of cavalry and specifically mounted archery. So books on eastern (encompassing Persian and Mongol) archery and cavalry may be a place to search. Some texts on Tartar weapons may be useful too, search specifically for the ordynka sabre, and also Caucasian weaponry. I recommend "Tartar Arms and Armour" by Jacek Gutowski. Also for Persian weapons, I understand that "Arms & Armour from Iran: The Bronze Age to the End of the Qajar Period" is a massive source.

Regards,
    Emanuel

Hi Sue,
    Sorry for the late responce, you are probably done by now! Have you found much information or something to specialize in researching? Central Asian swords are difficult to study unless you know Russian. Such a big and varied place! Do you want settled or nomadic peoples' weapons? Have you chosen an area or time period? Good luck! interesting but difficult topic.
    Dr. Ann

http://www.khazaria.com/

The 10,000 skills of sword, lance and fist converge like myriad rivers into a single ocean of beauty