Thread: whats the latest with the Hobbit?

1. whats the latest with the Hobbit?

whats the latest with the hobbit?

will jackson direct?
    will Ian Holms, Ian Mackellan ect return?

Nope, the last I read, Jackson will not be directing the Hobbit. But as to Sir Mackellan, I don't know.
    "It is significant that the only cult general in the English speaking world -Robert E. Lee- was the paladin of its only component community ever to suffer military catastrophe."
    -John Keegan, The Face of Battle

they offered jackson some ridiculous amount, like thirty million but he said he was much too good for that type of thing unless they had another thirteen million, stupid git.
    I don't mind the poverty; it's the deprivation of luxuries I can't stand

Dead in the water. With a lawsuit agains New Line, I doubt it will get off the ground anytime soon. Ian Holm has not signed on the idea, or expressed any interest last I heard.
    I'm lost---- I've gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

I work for Keyser Söze.

Source Material

McKellen was behind Jackson for director, so I doubt it'll happen.
    I think both parties need to grow up and realise why movies are made. How this hasn't been resolved in mediation I don't know.
    I have a feeling this wont happen, I think the audience and the opportunity is sailing off to Valinor forever.
    "I wear my soul at my side"

nowhere so nice as valinor i can tell you.
    I don't mind the poverty; it's the deprivation of luxuries I can't stand

Sigh, I hate hollywood.

"Oh, gee, I work for two years and make $50 zillion dollars, but when a real man works two years he makes $60,000, waaaa!!, Waaaaa!!, I'm a big baby".

Ah well, if they wait any longer everyone is going to be older and it's going to look odd. Plus Ian McKellen isn't going to live forever, best Gandolf ever.
    Luceo Non Uro.

Well, so much of the problem is that the specifics of the lawsuit are not known beyond what has been revealed. What particulars prevented communication? And one has to wonder whether Jackson is really being greedy here--between Jackson and New Line, who knows? Regardless of that, though, it is easy to understand why this feud is annoying to most people who earn a salary (or wage) in the tenths place of what the rich here (Jackson, New Line executives, etc.) are earning.

That said, the link above does indicates that MGM is waiting out New Line to hire Jackson to make The Hobbit. Who knows how that will turn out. Although I have pointed out on this forum where Jackson differed greatly from the original text, changing directors for The Hobbit seems a mistake to say the least. Now, the differences between directors in the Harry Potter films has been interesting and not so distracting (I mean, every film has strayed from the original books in plenty of ways), but that change may not work the same for a Tolkien-inspired film. Indeed, will the original actors return to participate if Jackson does not direct the film? Will New Line take back its claim not to use Jackson anymore?

Doug Mullane

So what I have heard is true! I think that the quality of the first three depended heavily on Jackson and his attention to detail as apposed relying on content alone. Although the books are amazing I think it's still possible for a new director to botch the Hobbit. I think that if Jackson isn't on board they should wait until he is or scrap the project for the time being.

The style of the film(s) would certainly be different. It seems that Peter Jackson and the connections he brought to this story are instrumental in the visual storytelling of this tale.
    Last edited by Doug Mullane; 04-11-2007 at 12:21 AM.

I agree. I think another directors rendering might end up looking cheap after the huge effort that was put into the trilogy. Everything Peter touches turns to gold like KK.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Whalen View Post
    Plus Ian McKellen isn't going to live forever, best Gandolf ever.
    Gandalf.

Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine ever since the Friends episode where they talked about Gandolf all the time - revealing the ignorance of the writers and pretty much the whole staff (since no one spotted it)...
    It is much better to be armed with a sword that has two edges than with an estoc [...], which is nothing more than a stick with a point. (Rapier Master G. Morsicato Pallavicini, La Scherma Illustrata, p. 14.)

Kentucky, where people date their sisters :)
    I can't blame jackson.

Yeah, its a lot of money they offered, but HOW much did they make off LOTR?

at least 2 Billion just in theaters not including merchandising or DVDs. The hobbit is good for at least half a billion.

If I was him, I would say 8-10% of gross.

"Oh, gee, I work for two years and make $50 zillion dollars, but when a real man works two years he makes $60,000, waaaa!!, Waaaaa!!, I'm a big baby".
    7 years, and he was working all day most of the time, 6-7 days a week. He has every right to be pissed if they're holding back.
    ~PER ARDUA~

I just hope he works something out and gets on board for the integrity of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McIntyre View Post
    7 years, and he was working all day most of the time, 6-7 days a week. He has every right to be pissed if they're holding back.
    The comman man doesn't complain if the building he builds generates a few million dollars and he get's $30,000 for his work does he? See? Hollywood babies. Boohoo.
    Luceo Non Uro.

The comman man doesn't complain if the building he builds generates a few million dollars and he get's $30,000 for his work does he? See? Hollywood babies. Boohoo.
    Yes, but the architect of that building gets at least a million for his design. So, go figure.
    I like swords.

If you want to climb a mountain, begin at the top.

"Integrity, justice, courage, and action - without these, a person is of no consequence." - Don Nelson

learn the way to preserve rather than destroy.
    avoid rather than check, check rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill.
    for all life is precious, not one can be replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Ellis View Post
    Yes, but the architect of that building gets at least a million for his design. So, go figure.
    True, I guess. I'm just sick of how bloated Hollywood is thats all, my rants cover sports players as well, lol.
    Luceo Non Uro.

Jackson helped that studio earn an awful lot of money. And I am not entirely certain, but I believe he had contracted for a certain percentage of the royalties as part of his payment. (Fair enough.)
    And that is the issue - that New Line "swept money under the carpet" royalty-wise, apparantly.
    Which was a foolish thing to do.
    Considering the money that New Line has made off this (in dvd sales, merchandise, etc), I think 30 million is quite fair - especially if they are not disclosing their accounts re. LotR, to him. (I wonder why not? )

Eventually the rights to film "The Hobbit" will revert to the previous rights holders (I believe that will be MGM, and if it doesn't get made by them, I think it may go back to the family estate? I am not 100% sure, but I believe "The Hobbit" and "LotR" are two seperate "rights" cases. Saul Zaentz owned the filmic rights to LotR.)

I believe the quotes of 2 billion and 10% respectively thereof, are in the ballpark from what has previously been said.

Thanks for posting the link, Doug!

(And my soul contribution to LotR was two phone conversations with the pre-vis department! Lol. What happens next will interest me as well. One of the other questions raised in the film industry in NZ, was also whether or not the Hobbit would be filmed here too, or if Peter Jackson would be "hired to direct it - elsewhere." If he would agree to do that, that is. I still reckon it's going to be some time (like years) before this gets resolved - if it gets resolved at all.)
    Last edited by Kirstin Wright; 04-10-2007 at 06:25 AM.
    ...enquiring wrights have a mind to know...