Thread: Show your Bow!

Show your Bow!

Yes lets see them and I mean all. longbow, recuves, Hun, Scythian, Magyar, Mongolian, Turkish. even could stand to see a few of those compunds (I stress a few.) Okay folks show us what you got.
    Here are mine.
    Both were made by a master craftsman in the little town of Center Point Texas who has since passed on.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    may you live as long as you want but never want as long as you live

Very nice. Now that I'm moving back out of the city I should hopefully be able to find some room to get myself a nice bow and get back to some archery. Mayhaps I'll even imagery for the thread in the coming months!
    -John

Okay yall no more holding out let's see them BOWS!

My Brackenbury Custom "The Drifter"

69# @ 31" 66" Length Recurve takedown.

Very sweet, bet she hits like a hammer.
    The one I shoot with mostly is the recurve 76# at 28" draw and strung she's 49 inches tall.
    Dunc
    Last edited by Bill Duncan; 05-05-2007 at 04:50 PM. Reason: slip of the mouse

It really does. Not very mideival but I like the primative nature.
    I am looking for a good smooth inexpensive long bow. Maybe an osage but I am not sure yet.

I have two bows from Woodbows,both longbows.They are a blast to fire,I have a 4 by 4 foam target and with a bit over an acre in my back yard I can shoot there.I have been shooting compound bows with sights for years these are a total different thing without sights,counter weights,string scilencers and so on. A lot of fun though and Woodbows makes a good bow for a decent price.
    http://www.woodbows.com/lor.html
    http://www.woodbows.com/elb.html
    Luck often enough will save a man, if his courage hold. (Buliwyf)

If I had wanted your opinion, I would have examined your entrails.

In the corner of my room somewhere in SoCali
    my girlfriend bought me a Bickerstaffe with horn nocks from England. Lemonwood backed hickory, 65# at 28 inches.

its very nice, ill try and get some pics.
    Pi R Squared, no...Pie R round, cornbread R squared.

Very nice M.Lee!
    Had a compound years ago and the only time I shot it was for carp, gar and once shark and compounds are far and away a whole different critter.
    Wu Tuan.
    Now that is what I call a nice girlfriend!
    Dunc

hi this is my bow

The bow is a modern interpretation of a central asian nomad type, the core is osage orange with zebra mahogany laminates. The back is fiber glass and I forget what wood the ears are made of. It is 55 pounds with out stacking at 28 inch draw and can be drawn up to 31 inches. because the bow is not sinew backed with a horn belly it is longer then the true central asian bows. the good thing is because the angle at the nocking point is not that acute it can be used with either the european 3 finger release or the with a thumb ring. i've yet to learn how to use a thumb ring, but would like to. the bow as shown in the pictures is upside down. the lower limb is a little shorter then the upper. the white part near the grip is the arrow rest. and no there is not an arrow shelf. so it can easily be used righty or lefty. you just rest the arrow on your hand. to avoid the fletching from leaving the equivalent of paper cuts on your hand either wear a glove or tie down the front part of the fletching with a little sinew. it seem that the beginning of the fletching nearest to the arrow head is what cuts your hand. either way it dose feel a little strange until you get used to it.

i made the quiver based on a polish type used in the 1600's. it hangs off the belt on the right hand side and can hold up to 3 dozen field point arrows or 2 dozen broad heads.

It was hand made for me in the early 1990’s by Jaap Koppedrayer of Yumi bows.

http://www.yumi-bows.com/

He makes wonderful horn bows that I unfortunately can not afford. Jaap uses using both modern and traditional manufacturing techniques for his bows depending on what you want.

Jaap at an asain archery show.

http://www.atarn.org/letters/ltr_oct03.htm

Last edited by Jerry G; 05-13-2007 at 12:19 PM.

Here's mine.

Each of you guys have awesome bows. nice ones.

Only Jerry has arrows, what'd y'all do lose 'em.
    Jerry, ever try any of Japps arrows?

Bill, are both of those self bows?

In the corner of my room somewhere in SoCali
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael S. Rivet View Post

Here's mine.
    very nice bow, who is the maker?
    Pi R Squared, no...Pie R round, cornbread R squared.

not yet. he did let me shot one of his horn bows at pensic wars once and it was real nice, smooth and fast action. i've wanted one ever since. unfortunately every time i save up for one i get side tracked by swords. most of my life i've lived in new york city and have shot far fewer times then i would like.

Great bows fellas
    Jerry G
    Wow that is a nice bow. I love the Steppe style bows and that is my next archery buy. the fella shooting the Yumi I have seen around on the Internet and is apparently a very well respected in the archery world, good guy to know.
    Kevin
    Yep I have about eleven arrows right now but no pics yet soon soon. Nether bow is a self bow they are both fiberglass backed with Osage wood limbs and mesquite sayas and handle. Soon I hope to have a nice Hungarian bow.
    Dunc

Quote Originally Posted by Wu Tuan View Post
    very nice bow, who is the maker?
    I got it from www.oldbows.com. It's a self-bow made from a single piece of Yew wood (though the stave includes both sapwood and heartwood) with horn tips. Draws at about 50lbs, which sadly was still a bit heavy for me last time I took it to the range. Still, I love it.

U.S. Armed Forces Europe, Stuttgart Germany
    Hey All,

Here's mine. It's a 75# rawhide backed hickory flat bow from Ancient Archery. I shot ash shafts with 160gr field tips or bodkins at about 240gr.

Andy
    Attached Images Attached Images   

hi for anyone interested in Asiatic horn bows check this out. i came across it wile looking for information on making flemish bowstrings.

it a pictorial for making korean bows.

http://www.hornbow.com/makebow.html

Last edited by Jerry G; 07-09-2007 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry G View Post
    hi for anyone interested in Asiatic horn bows check this out. i came across it wile looking for information on making flemish bowstrings.

it a pictorial for making korean bows.

http://www.hornbow.com/makebow.html

Yeah that's cool and all. But somewhere along there is another spread of pics and a vid for sale for all you with no arrows. Just the pics can lead a long way if you have no idea. more doable than the bow i reckon.

Mr. Jaap is living in Georgia on the boo farm now Dunc. He does seminars teaching and such.

I had to go silent on him Jer after too many appliances failed. crap. that stole my bow money. I've made a few bent sticks but wasn't ready to tackle a te-yumi or copy his south indian.