Thread: Some updates on the research on crucible steel and weapons in Iran

Some updates on the research on crucible steel and weapons in Iran

Dear friends,

As I have mentioned couple of times, field research and working with academics in the region we study the weapons is a must. I remember couple of years ago when I was reading the excellent book "Persian Steel" by Professor Allan and he mentioned that one of the shamshirs attributed to Karim Khan Zand was kept in Pars Museum. Back then I thought that would be a great idea to picture and measure that sword which I did later in my book "Arms and Armor from Iran" among many other items from royal collections of Iranian museums, artifacts that were not changed for centuries. I also presented the classification of swords and crucible steel by Khayyam Neishaburi for the first time that reveals lots of important information.

I am happy to annouce that as I mentioned I was nominated as the first examiner of a student at the University of Isfahan. I am in the examination committee of five other researchers. I will supervise my student and she handed in her first part of her Master thesis to me. Excellent work so far. You will be suprised to hear that we have found NEW Persian sources (manuscripts) on swordmaking and crucible steel, also making of crucible steel that will be very interesting to many smiths and researchers. Also a relationship between China and Iran in trading steel (more to come).

Additionally, another student of mine found the complete manuscript of Mir Nejat on Martial Arts and training. This manuscript was written during the Safavid period. I will report on all these soon. Of course, this new information will be presented in my next book as well.

Kind regards

Manouchehr Moshtagh Khorasani

wonderful news

that is great that your a supervisor... very exciting and rewarding

I love to read about the crucible steel and sword making... . this is exactly what i've been waiting for ...

more candy for the blade makers and blade lovers..

thanks
    Greg

Outstanding

Manoucher,

This is really good news. Of course, I look forward to reading about these findings. In addition to the survival of old manuscripts, connections between Chinese and Persian culture are always interesting to me.

Please let the students you are supervising know that a lot of people here support them and their work. Students can be affected by any number of things, and it is important that they know that they have support. Please let them know this. They are the future.

Sincerely,

Doug Mullane

Quote Originally Posted by Manouchehr M. View Post
    Additionally, another student of mine found the complete manuscript of Mir Nejat on Martial Arts and training. This manuscript was written during the Safavid period. I will report on all these soon.
    An english translation of this one would be a great gift to humankind.
    Please forgive my english.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg T. Obach View Post
    wonderful news

that is great that your a supervisor... very exciting and rewarding

I love to read about the crucible steel and sword making... . this is exactly what i've been waiting for ...

more candy for the blade makers and blade lovers..

thanks
    Greg

Thank you very much Greg.

We are planning to establish arms and armor studies as a field in Iran. This is my first student and we will expand on this. I have now a group of students searching the national archives coming up with new findings from manuscripts. That is what I have always stressed. We need to network withs scholars from the regions we study the weapons. Next year, I am planning to organize a big event on crucible steel making in Iran. I will report on this soon.

Kind regards

Manouchehr
    Last edited by Manouchehr M.; 05-01-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Mullane View Post
    Manoucher,

This is really good news. Of course, I look forward to reading about these findings. In addition to the survival of old manuscripts, connections between Chinese and Persian culture are always interesting to me.

Please let the students you are supervising know that a lot of people here support them and their work. Students can be affected by any number of things, and it is important that they know that they have support. Please let them know this. They are the future.

Sincerely,

Doug Mullane
    Thank you Doug. I will defnitely let her now. She was the best in her class and a very intelligent student. I will let her know. I am sure she will be very happy.

Kind regards

Manocuhehr

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Giuseppe Tacchini View Post
    An english translation of this one would be a great gift to humankind.
    THanks Carlo. We are considering a full translation of the text into English one day. I will report on this later.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Dear friends,

Another good news. I was assigned as a thesis consultant (the first supervisor) for another student. This time university of Tehran. She will analyze many miniatures and also other depictions of swords on metal ware and fabrics in Iran and will follow when the curve of sword was introduced. The Cultural Heritage of Iran already gave us the permission. Be ready to see again another marvellous collection of Iranian museums soon.

Another good news, two more manuscripts on fighting with swords were discovered by my students in Iran who have been combing through museums. Both unkown outside Iran.

Kind regards
    Manouchehr
    Last edited by Manouchehr M.; 05-11-2007 at 11:45 AM.

Please let us know when her thesis is done and if she would be willing to provide a copy on computer disk for an appropriate fee.

Thomas Powers

Salam Manouchehr jan,
    I am looking forward to hear more news about wootz,it is so interesting. My friends Achim Wirtz and Andreas Schweikert in Germany inspired me to make my own wootz and I think I will make my first crucible steel in two weeks. Inshahallah I will have success. I will let you know how it turned out.
    Next time in Iran I hope to meet some people who are active in this subject.

All the best, Khaily mamnun, Cyrus

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Haghjoo View Post
    Salam Manouchehr jan,
    I am looking forward to hear more news about wootz,it is so interesting. My friends Achim Wirtz and Andreas Schweikert in Germany inspired me to make my own wootz and I think I will make my first crucible steel in two weeks. Inshahallah I will have success. I will let you know how it turned out.
    Next time in Iran I hope to meet some people who are active in this subject.

All the best, Khaily mamnun, Cyrus
    Salam Cyrus jan,

I have an extensive chapter in my book Arms and Armor from Iran and I introduced the manual of Neishaburi on Wootz making and swords. I have set up a big research team in Iran and am supported by Iranian universities, Cultural heritage and many research institutions. I can say from week to week we find more information about Persian arms and armor. THat is always great to go to the source.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Salam Manouchehr jan,
    as promissed I let you know that I made my first crucible smelt to produce wootz. I do not know if this is the right place but I thought as a Iranian I must show this to you. I posted this on Don Foggs forum and I will post the link. If this is the wrong place, feel free to remove it.

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=7684

If you like it, I would be happy to hear from you.

Chodahafes, Cyrus

Salam Manouchehr jan,
    as promissed I let you know that I made my first crucible smelt to produce wootz. I do not know if this is the right place but I thought as a Iranian I must show this to you. I posted this on Don Foggs forum and I will post the link. If this is the wrong place, feel free to remove it.

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=7684

If you like it, I would be happy to hear from you.

Chodahafes, Cyrus
    Salam Cyrus jan,

That is really a marvellous work. I am really proud of you. Thank you for sharing. That is really excellent.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Salam Manouchehr,
    I got a message from Greg T.Obach today, is there a way to contact you somehow? If you like, you can send me an email, maybe we can come together, have some tea and do a little wootz smelt!? Just if you are interested.
    I am also very interested in getting your book and what is going on in our country. I would love to make wootz in Iran.
    My email is: cyrus-@arcor.de

Chodahafez, Cyrus

It is wonderful to see so much research going on! How I would love to set up such a program here in the US.
    Dr. Ann

Salam Manouchehr,
    I got a message from Greg T.Obach today, is there a way to contact you somehow? If you like, you can send me an email, maybe we can come together, have some tea and do a little wootz smelt!? Just if you are interested.
    I am also very interested in getting your book and what is going on in our country. I would love to make wootz in Iran.
    My email is: cyrus-@arcor.de

Chodahafez, Cyrus
    Salam CYrus

It was really nice talking to you and also hearing about your forging methods. Excellent.

Kind regards

Manouchehr

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Feuerbach View Post
    It is wonderful to see so much research going on! How I would love to set up such a program here in the US.
    Ann,

Thanks. Both of my students are really very good and were among the best graduates. I am planning to take up to four students per year for the supervision of their Master degree. I have already set up a search team as well there.

Hopfefully I can set up a big conference on crucible steel in Iran soon.

kind regards
    Manouchehr

Thumbs up Making my own Wootz

I'm setting up a small foundry alongside my forge - I'd be happy to share my results here, or in a more appropriate thread.

I must say I love this place due to the readily available quantities of info and the rather generous nature of the forumites.

Thanks so much for sharing,
    Rion
    Talents are not gifts to those who posess them, in fact, they can be burdens more oft than not. Truly, a talent is a gift given for the benefit others.

Blacksmiths beat it with a hammer.

Motley Forge and Foundry: Producing Rocket Fuel Damascus Inertial Dampers Since 2007

"That looks like a fine piece of Rion Motlery if I ever saw one..."