Thread: San Francisco Token Kai August 16-19

San Francisco Token Kai August 16-19

Just a little reminder, anyone going?
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic." -Unknown

Ted Tenold and I will be there across three tables. Ted has a ton of stuff and I'm bringing things from Moderntosho and my summerchild site. Including things not on the site at the moment like a Hozon papered Showa Nagamitsu polished in Japan and mounted in koshirae in Japan. An Akitsugu. A gendai Sadanori fully mounted. Miscellaneous fittings. Some really nice kogatana including some from Ono Yoshimitsu. A couple kiridashi made by the Komiya smiths. Oh, and a few Howard Clarks. Not everything is always on the table so ask.

If I heard right Patrick Hastings is going to carve out a corner on our tables for some extra fittings he's got. So Patrick will be there. And I'm bringing my wife and daughter too for the first time ever.

If you do go, the things not to be shy about attending are the lectures and viewings of swords and fittings. Do *NOT* be shy about going to those things. That's where you get to see the very best things with someone like Bob Benson standing there explaining to you exactly what you're looking at. And see them side by side. And pick them up. And hold them. And turn them. And feel the weight, the weight distribution, the feel of an old nakago, etc. It is all good... Just be there early so you can hear the instructions on how to hold the swords, what to do, what not to do, etc. Remember those swords are usually there as loaners by their owners. And many are worth quite a bit.
    Keith Larman
    Summerchild Polishing and Modertosho Modern Japanese Swords
    "They say I have ADD, but ... Hey, look, a chicken!"

I thought I would be going this year, but with my parents off to Asia, and work commitments, I am not going, and it sucks. But there is always next year.

I'll be there for the inspiration. Prolly Friday and Saturday.

Dan
    Dan Pfanenstiel

"Half of what I say is meaning less" J. Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Pfanenstiel View Post
    I'll be there for the inspiration. Prolly Friday and Saturday.

Dan
    Cool, gonna bring anything by to show?
    Keith Larman

Prolly Sunday.
    <><><> <><><> <><><>
    Do what thy manhood bids thee do,
    from none but self expect applause;
    He noblest lives and noblest dies
    who makes and keeps his self-made laws.

-Sir Richard Francis Burton

I'll bring the one wak I was working on before it got to 800 degrees around here, Keith. I need to move to cooler climes......

Dan
    Dan Pfanenstiel

I'll bring the one wak I was working on before it got to 800 degrees around here, Keith. I need to move to cooler climes......

Dan
    "The coldest winter I have experienced is a summer in San Francisco" -Mark Twain
    Last edited by K. Chow; 08-16-2007 at 04:53 AM.
    "Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic." -Unknown

Look forward to seeing it.

Gonna arrive mid-day Friday. Wife and kid in tow so I may not be there at opening. And I'll miss the dealer only time so I won't be picked dry of the good stuff before the general public show starts...
    Keith Larman

I'll be there on Saturday I'll be sure to stop by and say hello to you and Ted..........
    Steve Wallisa
    Senpokan Dojo

Dan
    About a week ago i was actually getting cold, then the sun fell onto us.

Couldn't make the show though, been way too busy lately. I was really looking forward to it too.
    Chibi Ken-shi

Race Sims
    Mclaren F1 `05 "Burn my Shadow"

Ford RS200 backwards at the Ring
    CTDP F1 2006 Renault At Nurburgring
    Understeer is when you hit the guardrail with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the guardrail with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the guardrail. Torque is how far you move the guardrail.

Well, it was nice seeing the few people who came on by. I had a nice long talk with Steve Wallisa about all things JSA and swords. Dan Pfanenstiel (how the heck do you pronounce that last name, Dan...) came by with some of his work -- a very cool folded wakizashi he made, polished and mounted. We had a good talk about all those things and it was fun showing Dan burnishing was done traditionally with Japanese style burnishers.

Ted Tenold had bought 3 tables so we'd have room for his stuff, my stuff, the Moderntosho stuff, and also to give Patrick Hastings some room to put out a bunch of samples of his work. The show would have been worth the visit in and of itself just to spend time looking at a very cool copper tsuba Patrick did with inlaid dragonflies. Really incredible work - Patrick is getting a lot of attention now from the Nihonto world. Which is at is should be.

Anthony DiCristofano's table was right next to me and he had a number of pieces on the table including a cool unpolished tanto with naginata hi. He gave me a copy of his short DVD showing him forging and doing his thing. Really a great video. And I noticed Anthony spending some time talking with Yoshindo yet again, pointing and looking at Anthony's blades...

Rick Barrett was there as well roaming the room. Nice to talk with Rick as usual. I don't know how he gets as much done as he does given he has three kids...

I finally got to meet and talk with Michael Bell and some of his family for that matter. Great people.

The NBTHK display this year was stunning as usual. The theme was tanto through history. We started with a Awataguchi Kuniyoshi. Next up was a Soshu Yukimitsu (my head is still spinning from that one). There was a Heianjo Nobuyoshi tanto with an absolutely exquisite horimono. And I was really surprised at how much I liked the Shodai Yasutsugu. Great hori on that one too.

To give you an idea of the depth of the display they took out a Rai Kunitoshi that wasn't otherwise on display simply to set next to another piece to show the difference in how the utsuri looks at different times. When a fully polished Rai Kunitoshi is put out just as an aside... Well... That's a deep collection to be choosing from.

And Aquastone had a table at the show. A number of people have e-mailed me in the last year or so asking about them since the website had long gone down. I went by to buy a stone I like to use to dress my other stones and got a new business card. Their e-mail is now: aquastone@sbcglobal.net and they still have the same basic stuff they've always had. Nice to see them still in business even after the way too early and unfortunate passing of Mori.

And as usual -- thousands of swords. Ranging from beat up gunto to priceless treasures. All on display. With some of the most knowledgeable people on the planet about swords standing around able to answer questions. I even saw some cool middle eastern blades including one that looked like it was wootz.

Oh, and a set of koshirae on display was really quite nice. Gave me some ideas for a project I'm working on now... And Yoshikazu Yoshihara was there as well with the naginata that was on display at the Yoshihara exhibition in Pasadena a few years back. I loved that blade then and I still can't get enough of that thing. Amazing work.

Oh, almost forgot -- the NBTHK also did a display of top notch fittings. There was this one set of fuchi kashira with dragonflies there that just blew me away. I love that theme and this set was simply stunning. Interestingly it turned out that the set is owned by someone my wife knows and is local to me. So maybe I'll get a chance to study it even closer someday.

It is a shame more people don't go to these shows. So many complain about how hard it is to learn that you'd think these things would be standing room only. But I guess that's the reality of most things -- it's easy to complain but a lot harder to actually do... But I had a great time. And I learned a ton as usual.
    Keith Larman

sigh.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

What Keith said, in spades. Good times and a big learning experience.

I'm not the most outgoing guy in the world, so sitting and having a nice dinner and conversation with people like Keith and Patrick is worth the trip alone. Then add burnishing technique from Keith and Ted, wandering the room looking for examples of sword styles I want to emulate, and striking up conversation with Rick Barrett, Anthony DiCristofano, and several others is just icing.

And yes, Keith's daughter is just as delightfull as one would expect

Dan
    Dan Pfanenstiel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Drawdy View Post
    sigh.

Dave

Yeah, Dave, I thought of you a few times at the Token Kai. Some great swords there.

As a matter of fact I have a great WWII Akitsugu in full polish in shirasaya that you might want to look at... 27.5 inches of very robust tamahagane.

And... I think I'm going to donate a very large tsuba I managed to acquire to the West Coast Tai Kai raffle. 92mm solid iron tsuba, nicely textured, with an inlaid Higo dragon curled up in a ball. Nice shakudo kao on the back. Should be an about $500 tsuba. I think that would do well in the raffle.

See ya at the tai kai. And it sounds like we're going to have a pretty good number of people exhibiting stuff this year -- we have a room for it so it is all good.
    Keith Larman

I'm not the most outgoing guy in the world, so sitting and having a nice dinner and conversation with people like Keith and Patrick is worth the trip alone. Then add burnishing technique from Keith and Ted, wandering the room looking for examples of sword styles I want to emulate, and striking up conversation with Rick Barrett, Anthony DiCristofano, and several others is just icing.

Dan
    Yeah, it was a very nice dinner. And the kid had a blast the whole weekend. My wife had to spend so much time in the pool with her that her eyes were blurry from the chlorine until after we made it home.

And I'll attach a photo I took of the kid sitting at my table "writing notes" in her journal and "typing up stuff" on my computer.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Keith Larman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Larman View Post
    ... As a matter of fact I have a great WWII Akitsugu in full polish in shirasaya that you might want to look at... 27.5 inches of very robust tamahagane...
    A living national treasure smith? Great, more temptation. Looking forward to seeing you and Ted and the gang.

Dave
    Dave Drawdy
    "the artist formerly known as Sergeant Major"

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Drawdy View Post
    A living national treasure smith? Great, more temptation. Looking forward to seeing you and Ted and the gang.

Dave

Oh, geez, I wish... Different Akitsugu -- Takahashi I believe. Still a very robust blade, great shape, good polish, good length. Feels like a "serious" blade in the hands. All good stuff.

And I have an idea of what Ted's bringing for the appreciation seminar. Good stuff... And I'll likely have the Kiyomaru utsushimono by Yasumitsu with me too.
    Keith Larman

Dan
    Thanks for the viddles Dan! It is always a pleasure to see you and Christy. Glad you learned some things and made some new contacts. I did the same in a big way. I came away with only 35 pounds of books intead of the 50 pounds from last year, but I saved some money hehe. I can't get enough books though my wallet has had enough.
    Keith's Daughter is delightfull. She would not talk though hehe. So I gave her the evil eye a few times during the show, she showed no reaction and is quite the confident happy little girl. And I thought I was scary looking.
    Joya is still pregnant, but that is not going to last long now!
    Regards
    Patrick
    Patrick Hastings
    "A man without patience lives in hell"
    "He o hitte
    shiri Tsubome"