Thread: forging:belt sanders and substitutes

forging:belt sanders and substitutes

Hi, i am Sal(and have been starting a lot of threads lately, but bear with me ) and need some help. i need something to sand away the excess steel on the blades i will be forging soon, but i have not the money to get a really good belt sander.

so i ask if you experienced blade smiths out there can help me, and tell me where i can find cheaper sanders or a good substitute for one

Thank You

P.S-i have yet to see any coffee in the blade smith cafe!

Yulan, NY, yes I know you have never heard of it:D
    A FILE, and patience. Places to find a cheap sander would be:

www.harborfreight.com

www.northerntool.com
    I dunno. Iron is sort-of the Paris Hilton of metals, and carbon, nickel, chromium silicon, etc. are a bunch of good looking guys she just met at a party. - Al Massey

Depending on what you want to do with your end product I would really recommend saving up and buying a decent belt sander. There is nothing worse then working on a machine that is constently stalling out on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Salvati View Post
    A FILE, and patience. Places to find a cheap sander would be:
    www.harborfreight.com

www.northerntool.com

yeah,thank a lot man,my brother will be quite pleased too

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Pikula View Post
    Depending on what you want to do with your end product I would really recommend saving up and buying a decent belt sander. There is nothing worse then working on a machine that is constently stalling out on you.
    yeah...but i want to forge soon anyway....and money is something that i wanted to make with forging. i know where to get good 9260 steel,and make good blades out of that

Here is a free piece of advice, probably worth what you paid for it.... If you get a cheap grinder, make sure to at least buy good quality belts for it. You can do some do okay work with even a 1x30 belt if they are of decent quality. Not that it compares to a bigger grinder, but for the folks with less money to spend, well, it will get you working.

You might also consider making yourself a sen and see how you like using that. I enjoy using the scraper quite a lot for some reason. Maybe it just seems cheaper than buying new files and I am poor enough that cheaper is a good thing... lol

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Byler View Post
    Here is a free piece of advice, probably worth what you paid for it.... If you get a cheap grinder, make sure to at least buy good quality belts for it. You can do some do okay work with even a 1x30 belt if they are of decent quality. Not that it compares to a bigger grinder, but for the folks with less money to spend, well, it will get you working.

You might also consider making yourself a sen and see how you like using that. I enjoy using the scraper quite a lot for some reason. Maybe it just seems cheaper than buying new files and I am poor enough that cheaper is a good thing... lol
    well,do you know of any scrapers or files that i can use instead of a sander.....if it ever came down to it....yeah