Thread: Viking Swords, which meet the grade?

Viking Swords, which meet the grade?

Hi Guys,

Im new to this forum but have been reading a while and thought it was about time I registered and got involved.

Im looking to get a new sword and was wondering if anyone can comment on the following or suggest something better for re-enactment/full contact fighting.

Viking Broadsword, Battle Ready
    http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/a...roadsword.html

Beowulf Sword (This is supposed to be battle ready. Love the look of this one)
    http://www.reliks.com/merchant.ihtml?pid=2548

Godfred Viking Sword by Paul Chen (Ive read that alot of people have been disappointed by this sword and have said that a batch was released that wasnt made properly, people have reported snapped and bent blades. Have the sorted this issue now?)
    http://www.medieval-weaponry.co.uk/a...by-hanwei.html

Many thanks for all your time and efforts.

Over here Paul Binn's swords seem the most prefered in reenactment:
    http://www.paul-binns-swords.co.uk/Swords.htm
    They look quite alright, although the string wrapping is not historically accurate AFAIK. I've not yet handled one myself though.

N.b. avoid the seaxes. Although tough and well made, they're not historically accurate, certainly not for Viking reenactment.
    Last edited by Jeroen Zuiderwijk; 09-03-2007 at 03:13 AM.

Paul Binns swords are indeed excellant as are Tim Noyes (http://heronarmoury.co.uk/index.php) and Armour Class (http://www.armourclass.co.uk/)
    Who on another forum is called Oswulf

Thanks for all the help so far. Has anyone actually bought the Beowulf Sword? Thats the fave design Ive seen but if it wont stand up in combat I won't even bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Peterson View Post
    Thanks for all the help so far. Has anyone actually bought the Beowulf Sword? Thats the fave design Ive seen but if it wont stand up in combat I won't even bother.
    It's not a Viking period sword. It's a very rough copy of a Vendel period sword, and only a shadow of the beauty of the real Vendel period swords (which looked similar to this: http://www.templ.net/pics-weapons/10...atha/a03av.jpg). And I heard it's got plastic hilt components. It's described as being a movie prop sword, so it's definately not intended for reenactment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeroen Zuiderwijk View Post
    It's not a Viking period sword. It's a very rough copy of a Vendel period sword, and only a shadow of the beauty of the real Vendel period swords (which looked similar to this: http://www.templ.net/pics-weapons/10...atha/a03av.jpg). And I heard it's got plastic hilt components. It's described as being a movie prop sword, so it's definately not intended for reenactment.
    Ah right. Thanks for that info. Lots of sites are saying its battle ready and a functional sword. Will give this a miss. Do you know anything about the Godfred Viking Sword by Paul Chen?

I have a Godfred, and although its a beautiful piece, its neither completely historical nor suitable for re-enactment. Its sharp, and rebating it for re-enactment fighting would take too much of the blade off (besides being a waste!). I'm also doubtful as to whether it would last very long under re-enactment use. Rather get something made for the purpose.

You could try Albion: The Squireline Viking is pretty decent for re-enactment(type H, the most common hilt type from the era). It's rebated, well balanced and sturdy.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Stark View Post
    You could try Albion: The Squireline Viking is pretty decent for re-enactment(type H, the most common hilt type from the era). It's rebated, well balanced and sturdy.
    It looks great, but is it really prepared for reenactment? AFAIK it's not sharpened, but it's not thickened around the edge either. You need at least a 2mm edge to be allowed to be used in reenactment (thinner can still cut, even if not sharp!).

If he needs the thicker edge for reenactment he could go with the Paul Chen Practical Viking on the cheap side. Otherwise the Armour Class are some nice swords. Not much out there is offered with the 2mm+ edges.

It looks great, but is it really prepared for reenactment? AFAIK it's not sharpened, but it's not thickened around the edge either. You need at least a 2mm edge to be allowed to be used in reenactment (thinner can still cut, even if not sharp!).

For the Hanwei Practical Viking see this thread - http://forums.swordforum.com/showthr...actical+viking -

If you are looking for a reenactment sword, you don't want one that is claimed to be "battle-ready", because it will have sharp or semi-sharp edges.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adelsen View Post
    If he needs the thicker edge for reenactment he could go with the Paul Chen Practical Viking on the cheap side. Otherwise the Armour Class are some nice swords. Not much out there is offered with the 2mm+ edges.
    Well, there's Paul Binns. There's plenty more out there, but frequently they have the edges thickened without compensating for the weight. So the result is much heavier and badly balanced swords.

Where are you and what society are you planning to re-enact with Thomas? I ask because the latest model Paul Chen Viking swords are increasingly not acceptable for use with the main British re-enactment groups. I’ve also heard they’re frowned on in Germany (hearsay only though).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul W View Post
    Where are you and what society are you planning to re-enact with Thomas? I ask because the latest model Paul Chen Viking swords are increasingly not acceptable for use with the main British re-enactment groups. I’ve also heard they’re frowned on in Germany (hearsay only though).
    Do you know the reason for this unacceptability? Is that just for the latest Hanwei Practical Viking or for the entire European Practical line?

I can't remember for certain (though I ground enough of them to finish). When they came to me after heat-treat. They were a little over 2mm, though towards the tip could be hard to say after grinding. It wouldn't hurt to ask Albion if it's possible to really blunt the edges and let them know what your use intentions are. The sword itself is more than sturdy enough.

Actually 2mm flat edges cut pretty darn well. I've seen plenty of .5" shield edges chewed to pieces by rebated blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hooper View Post
    Do you know the reason for this unacceptability?
    The way the blade of the latest version (the mark 4?) is made makes the sword look as if it has three fullers so it’s out on authenticity grounds, on safety grounds the edges are squared off rather than rounded as most societies demand and the blades are considerably softer than the more common re-enactment swords (Paul Binns, Armour Class, Heron etc) and burr up very quickly against them. There are a few of the older versions of the Practical range around as these can apparently be brought up to an acceptable standard with a bit of work (never done it myself though) but the Mark 4 is pretty much impossible to modify due to the shape of the blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hooper View Post
    Is that just for the latest Hanwei Practical Viking or for the entire European Practical line?
    I only really do Viking Age re-enactment but I think all of them have similar problems, it's best to check with whoever you plan on useing one with before buying.

Hi Guys
    Paul Binns swords are still hard to beat. Although the appearance can be industrial. he seems to use the fuller depth to offset the increased weight of the "thick" edge, so the overall effect is of a correctly weighted and balanced sword. YMMV
    Shame about the Hanwei Parctacal range being ousted, they are really good entry level training tools.
    Phil

Viking Shield sells some of Paul Binns' swords.
    <><><> <><><> <><><>
    Do what thy manhood bids thee do,
    from none but self expect applause;
    He noblest lives and noblest dies
    who makes and keeps his self-made laws.

-Sir Richard Francis Burton

Exclamation

We make several different styles of viking blades all made for Stage use. meaning meant to be hit with other swords.

here is one example

BKS VIKING 1

here is another.
    http://www.baltimoreknife.com/viking3.JPG

we are willing to work with any design that you would want. all 100% guaranteed
    "If you can draw it, we can make it".
    "ART SHOULD HURT"

Matt Stagmer - Sword Maker @ BKS

www.Baltimoreknife.com
    www.Facebook.com/Baltimoreknife